AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Yet another, Hijacked Listing by Beyond Menu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Tim Capper ,

We have a newly opened restaurant. But we had a terrible time to try to make our page on Google correct! Yes, like many of other poor people, our ownership has been hijacked by Beyond Menu.

They made every single pieces of information incorrect (including putting a completely wrong location leading our customers to a wrong place miles away and getting annoyed), only leaving the link to order food to a website that is really poorly made and completely unknown to the owner. We do have our own web page, and we do not want our people being directed to their site. What I concern more is that, this is our business not theirs!  

We struggled to make the location correct from the help here. Because I did not know at that time it was because someone else claim the business!

And then after looking into what on earth the link is directing people to, I find it is beyondmenu! But we did not grant them to do so!

Can you help us take back the ownership, or invalidate their ownership and let the real verification happen? 

Thank you so much! Frankly speaking, I do not know why other people know to "@" you. But I search on google and find this thread. And apparently, you said many people's lives! 

Much much appreciated in advance!

best, 
Richard

1. Full business name : Chinese Taste
2. Current business address : 3424 State St F, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
3. Current telephone number : (801) 466-0888
4. Google Maps URL : https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chinese+Taste/@40.6970822,-111.8916334,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1...
5. Website (if applicable) : https://chinesetastetakeout.com/

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Richard L
March

Re: Yet another, Hijacked Listing by Beyond Menu

Top Contributor
# 43
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard L

That listing should be available to Claim. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chinese+Taste/@40.6971108,-111.8914813,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1...

Please claim.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard L

Have you requested ownership of the business listing ?

Go to: https://www.google.com/business/

Start Now or Sign in with Google Account

Search Business

Then select the business.

Is this your business    Google My Business.png

It will then say this is already owned >> select Request Ownership

And fill in form.

They then have 7 days to accept or reject. ( If this really is Beyond Menu, there MO is to add you as communications manager )  - if this happens, let me know.

If they reject - let me know

If they accept - Brilliant.

GMB is requesting that users follow the above before we are able to send it up the chain. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Tim Capper !

I will do as you advised! And let you know how it goes!

Best,

Richard

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Richard and Tim there is no point in doing that, in 7 days the request will be "No longer Valid"...

But Beyondmenu is not the bad guy....  they are doing what they need to, in order to survive. 

Google is the culprit, who forgot that they are a search engine and and not a Yellowpages directory.... Forcing conpanies such as Beyondmenu, Slice, Eat street, Chinese menu online, and hundreds of new companies to all play volleyball with Restaurant Business listings. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Alex D

I disagree completely.

These online ordering systems have NO right to try and claim or verify the business listing.

If the owner legitimately wants to use them, then the owner can add their menu to the business listing themselves. There is no other purpose for claiming the listing other then to get more orders direct from the business listing without the owners consent.

It's fraudulent activity.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Richard L

Yep,  reply back after the 7 day period and we can then look at next step

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Alex D ,

I do not even want to come to the point judging whether Beyond Menu is the bad guy or not. 

But from my perspective, Beyondmenu is very irresponsible when they were filled in the information of the our restaurant. The marker was at a completely wrong location bringing us lots of annoying troubles. The opening time and closing time was completely wrong. Since it is us, not you, who were suffering from those negative impact, you may not really able to understand how frustrating it is when we were striving to make the best food and service while customers who wanted to come to ours ended up with other restaurants because they were navigated to a place miles away from us merely because of other people's irresponsible manipulation on the google maps data. What's more, you are not able to update it in time because they have the ownership of the restaurant!

so, despite whether Beyondmenu is right or not in general, they are not doing "what they need to do" in a responsible way. If they keep doing so, they will not be able to survive undoubtedly.

At least, for us, we choose to say no to them.

Richard 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Tim, I 100% agree with you... But The Restaurant DOES 100% Agrees to work with Multiple Companies, they agree that Multiple Companies should manage their listings. Multiple Companies should create their website.  The owners are 100% Legitimately telling every company that they sign up with "They want them to manage the listing"

The problem is fundamentally, the owners DO NOT understand what Google My Business is, and the rest of the world outside of SEO's and 3rd parties also do not understand what Google My business is.  

The only thing the users do understand, is this "PLACES" data taking up the entire search result on a search engine.  Any of the 100's companies that the restaurant works with, vies for that management of its listing.  All other results are no longer important on Google, it is only that Google Places that is so important.  It takes nearly 6 SWIPES on a mobile device to see the rest of the web.  

---------------------

Maybe a solution like this? 
When a user clicks "WEBSITE" they are presented with Options
- Website by BeyondMenu
- Website by SliceLife
- Website by Eatstreet
- Website by ChineseMenuOnline
- Website by ChowNow
- Website by DeliveryHero
- Website by Grubhub

This is probably the most "Fair" solution to this issue.  The owners have agreed and when you call them and ask "Do you work with Eatstreet and they manage your Google" yes.  The next day call them "Do you work with BeyondMenu, they manage your google" yes. 

That is the reason I am saying, nobody is the "bad guy", because the Owners are 100% on GREAT Terms with EVERY company they work with, otherwise they wouldn't be working with them. 

And "When the owner" really wants their listing "Back".. 99% it is "Another Company" that is simply looking to "Manage" that business for the next week, until "Another company" says "They work directly with the restaurant"....

--------

Sorry Tim, I just live this on a Regular Basis.  I have ignored the issue for 3 years, ever since google first introduced it.  - But unfortunately google puts so much "Priority" on this in the search results, that it is no longer possible to ignore. 

I would really love to find a fair solution for everyone, but a Single Company out of the dozens that a restaurant potentially works with, is just unfair to other companies that "The restaurant 100% legitimately works with and wants to manage their business". 

Have a great day @Tim Capper - really looking forward to response, give me a different way to look at things, help me see what I don't see yet :).  

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Richard that is very irresponsible. I didn't mean to defend BeyondMenu, they are actually a competitor of mine and in our small market of Staten Island, where I really have a personal relationship with local restaurants, they are making my life a nightmare. And in the case that a restaurant "Does want to work with us directly", it's nearly impossible to get a listing back due to the "Listing no longer valid" scheme.  

Because of this I was more trying to point the fact that Googles system of making these business listings a "Free for All" is not right and something has to be done, or a more fair method needs to be implemented. 

Anyways hopefully your issues are soon resolved. 

Have a good one. - Alex

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Alex D

My position has not changed.

Yes owners do not understand GMB in most cases, but I 100% guarantee that these menu companies do and instead of asking the owner to add them as manager or transferring the listing to the owner as guidelines state, they hold onto it for their own benefit.

The GMB listing exists there for the restaurant NOT for an easy meal ticket to be listed by 3rd party menu sites. They should be doing their own marketing, apps etc to get their own customer base online on their own site.

3rd party menu sites can be added by the owner onto their listing, the only reason 3rd party sites want access is for the free exposure without having to do their own online marketing.

I bet you, if they explained to a business owner, that we will use YOUR GMB listing to get free traffic to our site that we will charge you a commission for, they will be like ... whaaaat ?

Why do 3rd party menu sites not add a UTM tracking code to the menu link ?  Because that traffic already belonged to the restaurant and I'm pretty sure that the owner would not be happy with paying for his own traffic.