Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

YP problems

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

For the past 6-8 weeks we have been working to resolve a conflict with ownership of our My Business account. YP had established and verified the account without our consent or knowledge. To make matters worse the information on the account was not entirely correct, ie phone number. We initiated an ownership dispute with google, which stipulated that the ownership would be transferred if YP did not respond. To the best of our knowledge they have not. We waited the specified 7 days with no action. After numerous phone calls we were advised to wait another 7 days, which we did to no avail.

YP did offer us manager access, which after ~18 days of no action, we accepted if for no other reason to correct the phone number which was causing numerous business issues. But now after our latest call to Google support they say there is nothing they can do because we have manager access.

How can YP register as us, and further take precedence over us?

How can we be verified as the company, but not be able to take ownership from YP who is not the company in question on the account?

Trumbull Mechanical Services

28R Industrial Park Drive

Waldorf, MD 20602

301-843-7477

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/102294396199414696804/102294396199414696804

Any insights would be appreciated

Valerie Trumbull

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: YP problems

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi

Who is YP

Did someone pass on the PIN number at the business ?
How did they receive the PIN number at your address ?

I am going to ask support to look into adding you as owners.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
YP is Yellow Pages. We did not receive a PIN number at the business or our address. Yellow Pages is holding our page hostage. Google has verified our business and we have waited 14 days plus. We are being told by Google they will not release ownership of our page. How can a business named Yellow Pages take ownership of our business when they are clearly not us! It has been verified by Google. This is beyond ridiculous! Information posted was not correct costing me money and reputation. Google hides behind their "policy". They will not disclose what their "policy" or process is. They will also not produce any documentation that Yellow Pages has authorization to have ownership of our information. Any help would be much appreciated.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Good Afternoon Tim
I haven't heard from Google. Were you able to make any headway or do you have a recommendation on next steps?
Thanks
Valerie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tim

I replied on the google thread but had not gotten a response from you. YP
is YP.com aka Yellow Pages according to google. We at our business never
had a pin so did not pass it on so I have no idea how they could have
ownership. Please let me know what can be done. Our business has suffered
as a result of their actions. I have spend days/hours on the phone with
google with zero results.

Thanks
Valerie Trumbull
Trumbull Mechanical Services, Inc.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Valerie T

There has been such a backlog, i am even to worried to check my inbox these days.

Just to update you that my escalation has finally made it to the front of the que and they are investigating. I assume that they will be calling the business, to verify it exists and the account owner is or is not there.

Regards

Tim

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Valerie T

I believe ownership has been transferred now and the team is reaching out to you to see how this happened, so it can be prevented in future.

Sorry for the delay, but glad we got this resolved.

YP problems

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same issue! How were you able to get the ownership transferred? I'm on the phone now with YP, but I really don't think they understand what I'm requesting. SoOoooo frustrating. Obviously, Google should know YellowPages is just a vendor, not the business owner. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Amber D

How did YP get ownership of your Google business page ?

Please point out the Google My Business guidelines.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Ownership

Only business owners or authorised representatives may verify and manage their business information on Google My Business. If you wish to share management access to your listing with others, you can add a manager.

Additional guidelines for authorised representatives

Any individual or company that manages business information on Google My Business for a business that they don’t own is considered to be an authorised representative. For example: a third-party SEO/SEM company; a friend of the business owner; an online ordering, scheduling or booking provider and an affiliate network provider.

Authorised representatives must:

• Never claim a business listing without express consent from the business owner.
  • Never make false, misleading or unrealistic claims.
  • Never use harassing, abusive or untrustworthy tactics with potential or existing customers.
  • Always work directly with the business owner to complete verification. Find out more about verification
  • Always ensure that the business owner understands what Google My Business is and where Google My Business data is used. Authorised representatives should share the following resources with the business’s owner:
  • Always keep the business owner informed about which actions the authorised representative will take on the business listing.
  • Always follow Guidelines for representing your business on Google. Note that the phone number and website for a listing should always be the single, authoritative phone number and website for the business and be verifiable by the business owner. Website content must be owned and managed by the business owner.
  • Always respond to management access requests promptly, and always transfer listing ownership to the business owner immediately upon request. Authorised representatives must, whenever possible, encourage the business owner to create an account, own the listing and add authorised representatives as managers. Find out more about transferring ownership

Failure to adhere to these policies may result in a suspension for the listing and/or account.

YP problems

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm guessing at one time Weiss Memorial Chapel did some sort of marketing program with YP where YP helped WMC get a presence in various directories and social media channels. WMC no longer does marketing with YP, but they still "own" the listing. All I need YP to do is delete their listing or transfer ownership, but I feel like I'm getting nowhere with either YP or GMB. I went through this last year with YP and GMB and thought everything was revolved until I recently noticed my listed was flagged as a duplicate and I need to request access.