AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Verified Google Maps listing has been purged

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have owned Yangshuo Mountain Retreat (阳朔胜地 Yangshuo Shengdi) for 17 years and have had a Google Maps listing for 10, with a ton of photos and 5-star reviews. My site is whttp://www.yangshuomountainretreat.com
Recently a small hotel in China used our hotel's Chinese name in a far away area and now Google Maps thinks they are us and they have no info posted, except for the distant address.
Since we're in China, I can't re-verify Google Business but many other local hotels have active maps listings and when people post reviews and photos to us they were updated until recently because of this new property using our name.
I really need to get this listing back as guests think we're hours away from our actual location.
I've posted a request in Maps to add our place back twice in the last two months but no result.
Our location is 24°44'32.9"N 110°28'28.7"E
Mailing Address is Yangshuo Mountain Retreat, Wanggongshan Jiao, Fenglou Cunwei, Gaotian Town, Yangshuo, Guilin Guangxi China 541907
广西壮自治区桂林市阳朔县高田镇凤楼村委王公山脚阳朔胜地
We verified our ownership of the business via postcard four years ago and are already verified owners of the website.

As business admin, my phone is +66857170002
I'm grateful for any help on this!

Chris

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christopher B
May

Re: Verified Google Maps listing has been purged

Top Contributor
# 18
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher B

Have done some more digging and cannot find the photos or reviews. I'm afraid they've simply gotten lost in a sea of data and our chances of recovering it are not good.

For the future

• If you can reapply those images to your listing, please do so.P
  • Periodically check for the other listing and if it magically reappears sometime in the future, the reviews / images associated with it may magically reappear as well. If they do, ping me back on this thread and I can re-escalate this and see if we can get the reviews at least, moved across to your listing.

For my info only: [2-2477000021952] 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher B

What's really odd about this is the listing isn't verified. So it's been unverified somewhere along the line.

Do you recall if the email you used as part of the profile for this form thread is the same email as the one used to manage the listing?  And were you the one who originally created the listing?

IT's going to be tricky with this, as you said, Google don't support listings in China anymore. I may (no guarantees) be able to request Google reset the ownership to the original claimant, and am hoping that will be you.

Can you confirm if that would be the correct email?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Margaret,

Thank you for your kind assistance! Yes, I always use my gmail address when working on anything Google related. The verification by postcard was done for Google Maps before Google Business. I remember because that was the only option for a China business at that time.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What would be my next steps here?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher B

I'm continuing to have discussions with Google on this matter, as I'm not satisfied with the response I've received so far. 

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You're a champion, @MargaretO !

The listing would have been available as late as Christmas last year. I first noticed the deletion in late January. As most other new hotels in our area of China continue to be listed on Google maps, and none are able to claim their business, there must  be a mechanism by which a business that was previously claimed and is linked to the verified business website of the same property owner can have their listing of several years restored!

I'm interested to know how all these local Chinese companies (like the one that took our name) are automatically listed on Google maps without verification, yet our verified biz disappears.

Thank you again for your kind efforts!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher B

We haven't yet exhausted all avenues for you, still working on your listing issue.

Do you have a few examples of "As most other new hotels in our area of China continue to be listed on Google maps" you can give?  I'll ask the question more precisely and see if I can get any answer as to how that's happening.  

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @MargaretO, on Google Maps if you search for Yangshuo, you will see many dozens of hotels officially listed with prices, photos and reviews. None of these businesses are claimed, though Yangshuo Mountain Retreat and its listing was established a decade before all of these hotels and we actually did claim by postcard as mentioned previously. So I'm wondering how these other Yangshuo hotel listings are are set up in Maps by google given that they're in an unsupported region? But with 10 years of great reviews and photos (community contributed) I am mainly eager to get back all of our legitimate good will through reinstatement of our correct listing.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Christopher B

I couldn't get the listing ownership back to you, but Google have said they moved the pin marker back where it should be. 
Can you check it's correct?

Can you also do a check on other travel sites where your hotel might be listed, and confirm listings there are all correct?

Reason I mention that is Google uses those services as sources of information that it then republishes. If there is incorrect info there, then Google may have done the mixup due to wrong information.

I'm also asking about the reviews.   In time, I expect it will pick up the TripAdvisor and other 3rd party reviews and add them to your listing. I'm asking about the Google reviews you say you had.  If there's any chance you have evidence of them, please post it here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, @MargaretO, this is a good start! The precise location should actually be:

24.7418294, 110.4795117

So will all of our last 10 years reviews and photos be restored now that the location is back to where it should be? Are we eligible to list with Google Hotels if they won't let us reclaim the business?

With thanks,

Chris