Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Unable to Gain Access to My Business Listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a client who utilized an SEO Management Company out of Las Vegas to create and manage his Business Listing. While he only owns one business out of his home, they created six different listings with false addresses and slightly modified the name of each listing.  I am attempting to clean this mess up and have tried on multiple occasions to gain access to these listings. Their response is always that they do not allow others to access the listings to prevent damage to their management efforts. I then let them know that we would simply like to cancel the service and regain control of the listings. They promptly let me know that if we cancel the service they will delete everything in the listing and that we would have to go through google to claim the listings after the fact. They have essentially high-jacked his listings and are holding them hostage with the threat of deleting everything. What is the best course of action here? I would like to simply regain ownership of the listings, however because they were verified by this company I am unable to gain access without going through them. I could also just start from scratch, but of course that would entail lag time in ranking and the issue with multiple different listings floating around with inconsistency. I would really prefer that google give me a call so we can get on three way with this company and force them to relinquish control of these listings. Any help would be appreciated.  

Dub Electric

Grapevine TX

817-201-5033 (tracking number on the listing is 817-405-6283)

https://goo.gl/8ibH4J

www.dubelectric.com

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rob,

"I could also just start from scratch" that probably wouldn't work. If they already created a listing, yours would be a dupe and the system won't allow you to claim it.

It think you need to go through the motions to ask them to release the listings - BUT need to do it through the Google interface. I believe if they don't respond in a certain period of time, there is a way for you to forcefully reclaim or can contact support.  But you need to try to use the system 1sr.

You'll need to follow the steps under "Request access" on this page: https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671

Above was for the main/valid listings. The others you can try to edit right on maps. Click edit listing right below phone #. Select at top Permanently closed or does not exist and check does not exist.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

There is no option for request access on the page. When I sign into Google My Business I am prompted to search for the business. When I do that, the address field is required however there is no address listed on the listing and there is technically no address to add. Further, on the one listing in Grapevine where this is an actual address, when I type in all required information and hit submit it creates a new listing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rob, I'm trying to fill in while everyone else is out this week. Let me see if I can get someone else to help. But could be a couple days since they are all out at TC Summit this week.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hey Rob,

Since the business is not allowed 6 listings, when I send this over to GMB support they are going to want to merge them or remove the listings that are invalid.  Can you please confirm which listing is the real one for this business that represents where they are actually located?

Also, can you confirm if you have access or control over that particular listing?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Joy, we are fine with merging the listings. The real listing is the one with the Grapevine TX address. No I do not have access to that listing. The company (411 Locals) has ownership and access and has refused to transfer ownership after several requests over the last month, both over the phone and by email. They did recently assign manager rights to the Grapevine listing however I denied that privilege as we are not seeking manager privileges but ownership of the listings. Further they have threatened to wipe out the listings before transferring ownership because they said, "we are not going to allow you to piggyback off of what we've done over the last several years" even though they were paid throughout that entire time. They are essentially attempting to hold the account hostage with the threat of immediately wiping everything out so that we fall from our current rankings if they transfer ownership. They have stated more than once that they are Google Partners. I can't imagine this type of practice is acceptable by Google Standards. One more item of interest. Two different representatives of 411 Locals relayed to me that they have a network of individuals who manufacture false reviews on their managed listings as part of their SEO Maintenance.  I went in and investigated several of the reviews, and sure enough it is easy to see that many of the reviews are in fact fake. If you click on the individual's names and review history, the reviews are spread out among service industry businesses across the state and country. No doubt all for different clients of 411 Locals. We just want to do things right. One legitimate listing with authentic reviews. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Rob,

Can you please list the links to all 6 listings on Maps for me and indicate which one is the correct one?

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Also, here is what you should do for just the 1 listing (not all of them).  Go ahead and fill in this form: https://support.google.com/business/troubleshooter/3452717#ts=6129451%2C3452770

They will have 7 days to either deny or grant you access.  If they deny you (they probably will), you can hit the appeal button and it will allow you to verify the listing by postcard.  Once you verify it, it will boot them out. 

They can't screw you over - there isn't a way for them to delete the listing from Google.  The worst they can do is delete if from their dashboard and that just unverifies it.  

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey Rob,

I've asked Google to merge them for you and will let you know when I hear back. In the meantime, please file a request to get ownership for the Grapevine listing using the form I listed above. 

Owner of Sterling Sky