AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Two businesses listed at same location. One listed as closed and it is hurting our traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Started a store with a partner and parted ways shortly after. I bought out the partner and changed the name. When you Google search two different listings can show up, one under the old name and another under the current one. This is causing huge issues as the previous is listed as closed. It has a picture of our current storefront and underneath in red that we are temporally closed. We are having people coming in telling me they thought our business was closed.

Every product we carry has a website with a store locator. If someone is on the website of a specific nutrient company, they can use the store location feature on the site to find stores that carry the product. Most use Google for their info and all list the old business, nothing links to the new one.

This is really hurting our business and need a resolution. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can I speak to someone on the phone? That would be a huge help.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Two businesses listed at same location. One listed as closed and it is hurting our traffic.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey David,

Unfortunately no one on this forum is available via phone but if you want to give me the links to both listings, I'd be happy to ask Google to fix this for you.  They should be able to mark the old one as moved to the new one so it disappears from the results (and the permanently closed label along with it).

Usually it takes about a week for me to hear back.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am not sure how to send you the link information. I seemed to fix the Google search listing issue but the issue with websites linking to the old location info persists. 
I talked to someone from General Hydroponics and found that Google is still using the listing for the previous name and address in their map program. generalhydroponics.com/store-locator is the page. 02745 is the zip code. It lists the old name and links to their site. It also has a map link. You follow the link and the destination address is the 3 business strip. You can then select the previous named shop from the destination field and it comes up location no longer exists.

I can give you exact names of the businesses and links to the map program results but am not sure how much info I am able to share here with breaking site rules.

Thank you so much for the response!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Go to Google Maps, search for the business and once it comes up in the search results, copy and paste that link into this thread.

Also list the full address, name and phone number on each listing and clarify which is the old listing and which is the new. 

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Two businesses listed at same location. One listed as closed and it is hurting our traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Here is my current issue

There is store location programs that most web sites use. This allows
someone who is looking for a local store that carries their product to be
located. It uses information from Google for the results. For some reason
the previous name, Green Matters, comes up in map listings instead of
Project Grow.

Example http://generalhydroponics.com/store-locator

Enter Zip code 02745

The previous name, link to site, ect all there. Click Directions (
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=&daddr=898%20MOUNT%20PLEASANT%20STREET,%20NEW%20BEDFORD,%20Massach...
)

Now you are in Google Maps. Notice the address in Maps is listed as 898-902
Mt Pleasant St, New Bedford Ma. Below you see the normal home and work
quick locations. Below that is Green Matters Mount Pleasant Street, New
Bedford, Ma. Click it.

Now shows that the listing is closed.

I spoke to and IT worker at General Hydroponics. He told me that Google has
the old location tagged for certain data which programs draw from. The
"tags" need to be changed.

Previous name - Green Matters
Current name - Project Grow
Phone number which never changed - 7742026368
Location which never changed - 898 Mt. Pleasant St New Bedford
Massachusetts 02745

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks. I found the 2 listings and will ask Google to mark the old one as moved. The links are below for reference. 

Old Listing: http://maps.google.com/maps?cid=8960417948599312622

New Listing: http://maps.google.com/maps?cid=2443685825717343132

Owner of Sterling Sky

Re: Two businesses listed at same location. One listed as closed and it is hurting our traffic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you so much Joy!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The issue of some businesses that use Google's Maping program for its location data when a customer does a retail store search persists for generalhydroponics.com and their store locator.

Also how do I get myself the blue handbag map marker that all other businesses get at my location?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

The icons vary based on the category so you can't influence which one you get without changing your business category (which would impact your ranking so I don't suggest doing that).

Owner of Sterling Sky