AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to regain ownership of old Google+ account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our business' Google+ page is 3 years old and noone in the company knows who set it up or how to access it. I've followed the instructions for requesting/regaining ownership, but I'm stopped at the screen where I enter the address and place a pin on the location. The address and pin location are correct, but every time I try to advance the message "Enter an address and marker that specify the same place." appears and I'm prevented from advancing. 

The business is Vermont Plank Flooring, 112 Hardwood Way, Brattleboro, VT. Phone 877-645-4317, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Vermont+Plank+Flooring/@42.88083,-72.55658,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0...; https://vermontplankflooring.com.

What step am I missing, or how do I get past this? Thank you!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you gone through the ownership request completely since that listing is already claimed? It's best to do this with a domain based email for the G account.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The problem is that we don't know who registered the business or under what email address. That's why I was trying to follow the instructions under "Request access." My email address doesn't have any current "rights" to the account so what I did was act as if I was trying to register the account for the first time, which is when I get hung up with the address/pin issue. 

None of our emails are @vermontplankflooring.com; they're all @vtpf.com. Is that a problem?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No, it's not a problem, just makes it easier. When you go through the ownership process, it will give you a partial email address of the account that currently owns it. Maybe that will help determine who owns it. If not, go through the process. Wait 7 days and if you don't hear from the current owner, you should be able to get control of it on the 8th day. Without a domain based email, you may have to reverify it with a postcard.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for trying to help me out here. I guess where I'm getting hung up is that I'm logging with MY email address, which is why I'm not able to get to a place where I can request ownership. So when the instructions say, "Sign in with the Google account you use to manage your business", it means the email address that controls the company's Google Apps?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

You can use any email to create a G account, but you will need a G account in order to try and claim the listing. But if you already have a G account through the business, then use that email.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK. Then that brings me back to my original problem. I am logged in with my G account. I'm entering the company information so I can get to the point where I can request *something.* However, I can't get past entering the company name, address, etc. because it keeps telling me to "enter an address and marker that specify the same place" and I HAVE.... but it won't accept it.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Try it again and if you still can't do it, then contact GMB support on Twitter or Facebook to see if they can help.