6.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Trying to get ownership of a claimed business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This new process you are having businesses go through to claim their business they own is so long and drawn out and ridiculously unnecessary when how you used to do it was awesome and happened the same day in one phone call!

We can't access the email originally used to claim our business on Google My Business. We are trying to utilize this listing to do some marketing and your new process is making this extremely long and drawn out, and I can't understand why you changed your process. 

When a business can be found on Google Earth, called to verify they are really trying to claim their listing at the number on your listing, and receive mail at the email listed on the listing or even get mail at the address on the listing, why are having us wait two weeks to see of you get a response from an email we know you won't get one from because it is no longer accessible by anyone?
I just do not understand your new process. It is way too time consuming when you can easily call the business and get it done while we wait on the phone and respond to your emails like before. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Trying to get ownership of a claimed business

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

it's a long story but missing any useful information about the business in question to help you on.

But try this 

https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is not the process they are making us go through. They said if in two weeks, they don't get a reply, then they will hand it over. This is NOT how they used to do it!
They used to do it over the phone when they could call the phone number on the listing, look up the address and find a sign on Google Earth for the business and in this case, they can even send an email to the one listed on the actual listing and we can respond. We just can't access the email used to claim the business many years ago by an email no longer even used.
Verifying by phone, Google Earth and email was the way it used to be done, why did it change? This process is ridiculously long and the two people I spoke with about this said 2 weeks? That isn't even what the link said that you sent me. Very frustrating....when understanding Google is already frustrating enough.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
sorry to contradict you Bridget.
The procedure to "get ownership of a claimed business " did not even exist all the time in the past.
Google introduced it about two or three years ago. and the content of the URL I provided to you have beedn changed once in the past (Sept 2015)
And since this time the procedure was not changed by them anymore.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am the owner of the business she is having handle all this and yes, it was the procedure to do it over the phone until recently. I have been doing it over the phone with very helpful agents for about 3 years. It has never taken the time this is now taking because it was all handled over the phone because the business owners were at the phone number listed they could call, and the agent would verify the business existed from Google Earth and then they would send an email to me and I would confirm the ownership and it was done. All over the phone in one phone call and immediately. I still have every email sent and received to prove it. They changed the process and I am just wondering why. It takes so much longer now and slows down my job of helping the business represent their business on line by having a profile completely filled out and linked to the other sources so we can start posting and getting followers for the businesses. I am just asking why the process changed. That is all. I would love it if they would change it back since so many businesses did it wrong to begin with and I have to fix them. That is all. Thank you for your responses but I am hoping for one that actually answers my question of why the process changed from being over the phone to now a waiting game. Thank you though :)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I mean... you know why they changed it. This is why. Not locksmiths specifically, but spam's completely outrageous in a lot of industries. The postcard might be annoying, but even that's still not enough. 

In the last few days though, Google's started introducing a new way of verifying a page. You can read about it here. That'll help a lot of business owners for sure, but we'll see if it makes the spam worse too... dang spammers.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.