AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Took over an existing business that is registered on google but need to change all details.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hj, How do I go about changing information about a business that I have bought but is still registered on there google account?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Took over an existing business that is registered on google but need to change all details.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

we have the same problem!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

The easiest step to take would be to have the listed owner assign ownership of the listing to you. Just send them this info and ask them to add your email to the listing as owner. Have them add you as the owner (not a manger) and then they can remove themselves (or you can) and they can forget about the business. If that cannot happen, you can use these other steps to proceed forward. 

Google My Business now offers a conflict resolution system, which can be found here: Automating Ownership Conflict for Individuals.

You can also request ownership, by following the instructions here: Google My Business Help -> Someone else verified my business.

If no response is received within 7 days, you will be able to request a code to verify and then take ownership of the listing. If you need further assistance you can contact business support team via one of these options and ask for help:

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a similar problem - we purchased a business that went out of business and became bank owned.  Google still has the owner of record being the person who lost the business to the bank.  We purchased from the bank and can't get through google's ownership process as it is requiring to send an email to the owner of record who in theory will grant ownership to us.  We've done that cycle twice to no avail - is there another way? I can provide purchase of the sale documents from the former owner (the bank) - any suggestions are appreciated - I have been at this since mid May - so now three months.