AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Someone Keeps Changing My Business Info

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This past week, my business listing has been edited twice by someone. I am the only owner of the listing.

I have read that anyone can make a "suggested edit" to a listing and that the edit becomes active. But this means my competitor, who is likely doing this, can just keep changing my listing and affecting the search results.

Is there any way to stop these unauthorized edits?

Does having the listing change so many times affect the search results?

Is there any way to find out who is making the edits? Seems like people would have to be signed in to make edits. I am surprised Google allows unauthorized strangers to anonymously change peoples business listings. 

It is very frustrating. Not to mention unethical.

Someone Keeps Changing My Business Info

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve,

It is definitely frustrating, especially when you have hundreds or thousands of listings to manage. You can work with different companies, such as Yext, who will "lock" your listings and help manage on your behalf. 

I like to say that business listings aren't a "set it and forget it" tool. Google relies on the public as well as the business owners to ensure business information is correct (I know, it's frustrating). It's important to check your listings daily, or even a few times a day.

You'll also want to ensure your NAP data matches across the web, including on Yelp, Facebook and the data aggregators. If Google is receiving signals from other sources on the web that your information doesn't match, this could be changing your information. I would suggest using the Moz Local tool to check your business on major sites: https://moz.com/local/search If there is mismatched information, you should correct it as soon as possible. Everything should be 100% matched!