1.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Shared office space on Google My Business

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have office space at a business called Galvanize in Fort Collins, Colorado. Galvanize is a shared office space where entrepreneurs and startups can come and work independently. Here's the problem I'm having...there are no office numbers, suite numbers, or anything to distinguish one business from another. All the businesses that office at Galvanize have the same address. I mentioned this to a friend of mine and he said that this is DEFINITELY going to cause a problem in Google My Business, as there are multiple businesses registering under the same address. 

Can anyone confirm or refute this information? What can be done to solve this problem?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Shared office space on Google My Business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Scott, can you tell me more about the type of business you run? Do you see customers at this office space? Do you have regular business hours where customers can show up to interact with you?

Also, I need to know more about the "office space"? is it permanent? More of a virtual office?

Thanks!

Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I have a business called Northern Colorado SEO, but there are many others in the same space that are running different types of businesses, all of which are service-related, as far as I know. At Galvanize there are three levels of membership, all with different corresponding monthly fees. Galvanize has "seats," consisting of communal "flex desk" type of space behind a set of glass doors that only members can access. Up a set of stairs there are "desks" that are reserved at all times for only the business owners who rent them. In addition to the seats and desks, there are suites consisting of offices with doors that close and lock.

http://www.galvanize.com/campuses/fort-collins/

I do see clients at Galvanize. There are conference rooms that can be reserved when clients come by. I do not have regular hours, at this point, when I am physically at Galvanize. I go there to work and I leave when I have meetings with clients at their places of business. It is a permanent office space, not a virtual office.

I am currently looking at other office space for my business that uses the same concept as Galvanize. The new office space that I am looking at is called Cohere. I spoke with the people at Cohere and they said that they have the same situation as Galvanize - "flex space" available for members, conference rooms that can be reserved, kitchen space, etc. But they also do not have unit numbers or suite numbers.

http://coherecommunity.com/

There are also other shared office spaces in Fort Collins that follow the same concept as Galvanize and Cohere.

Does this help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Colan,

I'm just experiencing the same problem that Scott has: I'm a REGUS Office tennant in Vienna, Austria, and as this, someone else already has a business registered on that address on Google+. And Google notified me, that I cannot have the same business address as someone else, but I do.
Actually, I'm even receiving customers there, have my own office and conduct meetings.

Any idea?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

Both of your siutations could be causing problems for a couple reasons:

1. As you mentioned, having the same address as several other businesses can be a problem. Especially if some of the other businesses are in the same vertical, targetting the same categories. However, this is a common real world scenario and happens all the time.
2. A bigger issue could be the fact that these particular office scenarios that you describe are very close to a virtual office style scenario which Google doesn't allow in the Google My Business world.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for the reply, Colan. It is definitely NOT a virtual office though. Virtual offices are where you go to pick up your mail, right? This is a physical space that I go to every day to work. How can that be considered a "virtual" office?

So, how do we solve this problem? What would it take to have each business assigned a suite number?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Just a couple more thoughts:

1) This "new" type of office environment that I am currently in is the wave of the future. More and more people are choosing to do business this way. It has economic and environmental benefits and it helps facilitate business networking. This type of business space is only going to get more popular as we move forward. Wouldn't it be in Google's best interest to deal with this sooner rather than later?

2) I rely on Google for my business and if I have to move back to the "old" way of conducting business in a traditional office building with four walls and a door, I will do that. I would not have much choice to be honest. I certainly do not want to annoy the Big G in any way and I say that with complete sincerity. But if that is the case, I need to know fairly quickly as my whole business and professional life is relying on it.

3) I have heard that this issue has come up for people in the past. What has been the solution to their problems?

Thank you for you time and attention, Colan. :D

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Thanks for all the information. If your location is staffed during the stated business hours, then it's a legitimate use of Google My Business. There isn't anything that myself or Google can do to help with the lack of suite # issue. Only the building management can help you with that.

Let me know if I am missing something and if I can help in any other way.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Colan, thank you very much for your time and effort. Really appreciate it as it really helped to understand why is this (not) possible for my situatoin (and as I've leardned, for Scott as well). Basically, this is what I've presumed myself. Of course I do have my own staff as well, since my business is up and running for quite a while.Being a tenant within a large office sharing system (like Regus) is for me simply a consideration in both keeping the costs low in order to stay cost effective and having a representative office right in the heart of the business city center. Well, at least I do understand how this thing's working here on Google MyBusiness. I've found the offered options here quite cool and was keen to use it by myself... Thanks again, wish you and Scott all the best, best rgds. from Vienna, Greg

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Gregor R & @Scott A

I have just one question:

do you use the same phone number as the other business at the same address?