4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Search results wrong state similar business name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A client of mine cannot be found on a Google search for "Foxy Nails Albion Michigan." The search turns up a result for Foxy Nails Oklahoma City Oklahoma.  To make matters worse, there is a new address for my client.  I updated the Google map for them, I created a Google My business page for them, and I used the Feedback link at the bottom of the search result page. I will attach a photo of the search result.  The result is correct if I search for "Foxy Nails 110 S Superior St Albion MI" but that is not helpful.  I submitted the Feedback multiple times. I am glad to have found this forum.  Thank you in advance for any help.  I get the same issue with different browsers and also on my clients Android phone.

I posted this issue already to the Google Forum and was given a link with information that included how to verify the domain name which I completed.  However the domain name just points to a facebook page since the business does not have a website.  Here is that link. https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/websearch/UAdudBAuJMQ;context-place=forum/websearch

I was not able to submit more feedback using the tools on the links I was given.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maggie, 

Strange, it's a little unusual to see a mismatched knowledge panel like that when there's a more appropriate local one that could be shown instead. It does look like there's some issues with the business' setup though. There's a fair bit of name and address confusion though. "Nails Foxy" seems to be a common name for the listing, and "202 South Superior Street, Albion, Michigan, 49224" seems to be an address that's listed in a number of places. NAP issues (name, address, and phone number) can muddle Google's understanding of what information is real about the business, and can definitely negatively impact rankings. 

I know the client likely has a tight budget to go with, and your solution for a domain name forwarding to the Facebook profile isn't terrible, but Google does use the information on the site and the site's rankings as part of the algorithm as well, so the no website could be throwing things off a bit too. 

Last piece that jumps out to me... new listings can take a while to settle in. If this listing is only a few weeks old, that combined with the other issues could be why it's not showing up in the knowledge panel for appropriately local searches. I'd jump into citation work if I were you, that needs to be fixed anyway. It's still strange though that the wrong city's results are showing for such a targeted keyword search, so I'm still going to ask if there might be a bug associated with this issue, I'll let you know what I hear back. 

If you've never done any citation work, I like using Brightlocal for tracking and planning, they handle some of the major sites directly for a small fee too, they do good work. Whitespark is a good provider too. Good luck. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi James - THANK YOU SO MUCH for the prompt reply.  I have never heard of citation work before but I visited Brightlocal and looked at their plans.  Looks the the main thing I need to invest is more time.  Foxy Nails Albion did move from 202 S Superior Street Albion Michigan  to 110 S. Superior Street Albion a while ago, but their search result was pointed to Oklahoma long before that.  I did get recognized by Google as a representative of the business and created a quick free Google webpage for them here: http://foxy-nails-nail-salon.business.site/   I wish that I could do a little bit more with that website like put on buttons to their social media, or ftp files to the server that might help Google to find the place.  I'll make a note to dig in more on Brightlocal and Whitespark.  I did not know it would take so much time when I accepted the challenge to fix their Google search.  It is an odd one.  Thank you again.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Maggie, 

Happy to help. SEO issues are usually not a quick-fix though. It's what I do professionally as well, and I'm usually looking at a 3 month time-frame at minimum. Things take a little while to percolate, so it just takes time. As far as business information out there goes, you can correct the address on Google, but still run into problems if the old address is out there elsewhere. This article, written by one of the other TCs here, is a great primer on the topic. 

The Google site should work a lot better than the Facebook page. The product's very new, so there will likely be more features (like social media buttons) coming down the pipe, but we'll see what happens. 

Good luck Maggie, let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.