AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Restaurant Listing Stolen and Traffic being Re-Directed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Google Community we are contacting you on behalf of restaurant "HO WOK" in Staten Island.  We have been through this 3X.  The owner and I (Translator, web developer) on multiple occasions had the listing restored to the proper owner, somehow the company beyondmenu gains the listing back.  We try to go through the process and many times the request says "Your request is no longer valid".  We try again, sometimes we get "Lucky" and are able to regain the listing. 

Until next week when magically Beyondmenu has it back.  

For this restaurant, they are showing (Table Reservations, Menu, Online Order, Website), all going to the same "Landing Page"... 

Instead of showing the visitors of Google, they Force to Download their "BeyondMenu" app, forcing customers away from us but instead to BeyondMenu.  

We ASK Sincerely to either REMOVE this Bad/Incorrect Data from showing up as the main result when doing a search on any Mobile Device.  What happens on a phone, is the Google Maps data comes up, and the 4 Links (Website, Table Reservations (we have no tables), Online Ordering, Menu Button) all go to ONE PLACE which is Incorrect... It takes the Browser to scroll through nearly half the page (past the Google Places) to actually find correct information.    

Instead if Google is NOT ABLE to monitor the correct data, please don't show this to customers searching for this restaurant.  

Full Business Name: Ho Wok

Address: 692 Arthur Kill Road, Staten Island, NY 10312

Phone Number: 718-948-6562

Google Maps URL: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho+Wok/@40.559483,-74.164391,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xd759591c6c1...

Thank you for all your support. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

Re: Restaurant Listing Stolen and Traffic being Re-Directed

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Will escalate this to Google.  

Am I right in understanding that the restaurant does not have a website?  If that's the case, then that could be one way BM keeps getting control of the listing. Because they do seem to have control of the website.

If the owner doesn't, then once you get control of the listing, use Google's free website builder and create one. 

The owner (or you) will also need to regularly and frequently monitor the email address that is used by the google account that manages the listing.  If ownership transfer request emails go unanswered for more than 7 days, the transfer is able to be completed.  If the request is declined, BM have a harder time getting it back.  But they probably spin a good story, so having proof of ownership of the business will be handy to have if BM push things to a proper dispute.

I also see in one of the pictures a website "where you eat (dot) com".  In Google's website you can include links to sites you *do* have affiliations with, if it makes sense because they handle the online ordering etc for you.

I can't guarantee they won't get the listing back, but you can make it harder for them.

I can also see the listing is image-spammed by another restaurant - I'll report that for you as well.

Since you say you've done this before, can you provide any CaseID's related to those other incidents?  It will help the team doing the investigation.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Will escalate this to Google.  

Am I right in understanding that the restaurant does not have a website?  If that's the case, then that could be one way BM keeps getting control of the listing. Because they do seem to have control of the website.

If the owner doesn't, then once you get control of the listing, use Google's free website builder and create one. 

The owner (or you) will also need to regularly and frequently monitor the email address that is used by the google account that manages the listing.  If ownership transfer request emails go unanswered for more than 7 days, the transfer is able to be completed.  If the request is declined, BM have a harder time getting it back.  But they probably spin a good story, so having proof of ownership of the business will be handy to have if BM push things to a proper dispute.

I also see in one of the pictures a website "where you eat (dot) com".  In Google's website you can include links to sites you *do* have affiliations with, if it makes sense because they handle the online ordering etc for you.

I can't guarantee they won't get the listing back, but you can make it harder for them.

I can also see the listing is image-spammed by another restaurant - I'll report that for you as well.

Since you say you've done this before, can you provide any CaseID's related to those other incidents?  It will help the team doing the investigation.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Great news. This has been actioned especially fast, and it's good news for you.

Google have assigned ownership of the listing to the original claimant - hopefully you have that email address handy.  Quickly implement the changes I mentioned in my initial response to help make this harder for BM.  

If they get control of it again, post back on this thread and tag me so I can keep track of the incidents and escalate to team members who are already familiar with the case.

For my info: 0-0436000020254

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear @MargaretO I great appreciate that very much.  Also thank you for removing the Image Spam posted on the lising.  Have a great weekend almost :)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear @MargaretO - Like magic, some how they regained control of the listing and once again switched website, menu, order, table reservation to go to their websites. (No table reservations available at all, it is a 100% Take-Out). 

I am sorry to bother you once again, but if you are able to help that would be great. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Argh. Have re-escalated to Google.

Can you clarify, did you or BM originally claim or create this listing?  If you, did you use a gmail email (or hotmail or similar free service)?

Can you confirm you have not received any ownership transfer request message there?

If the email is not from a free service, is it from the same domain as your website?  If not, it would be good to have one from the same domain.  Can you do that?

In the meantime, try doing a community edit to the website.  Google might take the listing away from them for a wee while.

And it's no bother, honestly.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello @MargaretO, Originally I am not sure.  It is possible it was BM originally, Google just starting giving option to allow restaurants to claim their listings back.  Previously, when BM would have a listing, it was nearly impossible to get it back as there was no "Appeal" button when they would deny a listing, forcing us to go through Google Support which was a nightmare in itself. 

Anyways, on with this restaurant - we used this email address, we actually did receive a few notices but purposely ignored them - as the "decline" has not helped in the past. 

We do not have a domain email but can create one if needed. 

Okay thank you once again. Have a good one and talk to you soon. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Yes, it would be good to get an email from the same domain as the real website.

As far as ignoring the emails goes, that's not helping things at all.  Please decline, decline, and decline again as many times as you get these messages.

While decline may not have the intended outcome, at least you have a case to argue and we have something to provide to Google.  The more we tell Google where this is going wrong, the sooner we can have a better outcome for you and other businesses caught in this BM cycle. By ignoring those emails, I suspect it confirms to the Google algorithms that the ownership claim is uncontested. If that suspicion is correct, then it would only expedite any future claims made by BM.

Do any of the emails you might still have contain caseID's?  If so, can you include in this post pls?

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Sushi Y

Just rec'd an update from Google, go claim the listing now, quick, before someone else grabs it! :-)  They may be watching this thread...

Find me on · · my blog