Renting to a competitor - Lost organic searches

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I professionally represent:

1. Von L. Piersall, III, P.C.
2. 706 London St, Portsmouth, VA 23704
3. 757-967-9930
4. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Von+L.+Piersall,+III,+P.C./@36.83713,-76.3078487,17z/data=!4m12!1m...
5. https://www.vonpiersall.com/

Von rented out a small office to a friend that had his own non-competing practice. He since became a competitor joining a large local firm based in Hampton VA. He claimed the Google My Business Page even though the office is Von's. We were able to verify Von's 'My Business' at the address a couple years ago but have never been able to show up above "The Hunter Law Firm" at the same address. Try searching for "Lawyer Portsmouth VA". Only one lawyer shows up for 706 London St, Portsmouth, VA 23704.

I advised him to replace the renter, even though there was never a guarantee that he would receive his own mailing address. Von owns the building.

I speculate that since there are two lawyers listed at the same exact address that Google gives precedence to the one that claimed the listing first and does more advertising/seo. Incoming links etc.

I feel like his only option is to reclaim the tiny office space within his office address and report that The Hunter Law Firm is no longer at the address.

I spoke to Google support and they said to report the Hunter listing with an explanation, but I cannot for the life of me find a place to report with an explanation.

Does anyone have experience with a situation like this?

Thanks you so much for your time.

-William

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi William C 

go https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/News-Updates/Automating-Ownership-Conflict-for-Individuals...

------------------------------------------------

I'm helping your Business   G+ profil

if you give my answer like or solved thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have access to our "My Business" listing. The problem is that it is competing with another business that was able to verify their listing before my client did.

Or are you saying since my client owns the address, we should take over the other business listing? I do not represent them in any capacity.

Re: Renting to a competitor - Lost organic searches

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @William C

Listings at the same, or similar address can get filtered out from the initial map view. You can read more about that in item 2 in this article.

Seems clear from the signage at the location that Von is present there. So are you saying Hunter no longer has an office at that address? Their website still shows it as a location. Is that incorrect?

And no, it would not be appropriate to request ownership of their listing as @Zdenek Horak suggested.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @TomW 

He rents a small office inside Von's location. There was no agreement that he could use the address for Google. Vons reception gives him his mail. From what I understand, he was supposed to be moving but has not yet. The guy he rents to, that is now apart of Hunter gets pretty much all the calls from Google, it's been going on a long while. I just want to direct him properly.

I keep telling him to kick him out, but he is a 'friend'. I am sure the guy won't give up his Google listing easliy, I know I would not. So he is waiting out his time until his friend leaves.

The post office will not divide the place into another address since the satellite address is do small.

Thank you do much for the link, going to look at it now.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for the link @TomW!

It is for sure the "possum" game!

You can see he shows up sometimes > Screenshots by time Search Rankings by 3rd party Bright Local 

You can see he doesn't show up in maps at all except for one thing. "Criminal Law Portsmouth VA" But he shows up great for this!

But that doesn't pay the bills unfortunately. It looks to me like I was correct to assume his only option is to remove him from his address and report Hunter moved their satellite office.

Agreed?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author William C
June

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You're welcome @William C 

Yes, for some keywords your client may be present on the initial map view instead of Hunter, it will vary some as your rankings report indicates.

When Hunter is no longer at that location their listing could be marked as closed and the issue for your client should be resolved.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.