AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Removing review after buying an existing business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI

We purchased a business also that sells IT hardware and provides services b2b. ON purchase the business had a retail store that we did not purchase, the previous owner was retiring and closing the store. There are negative reviews about the store going back 7 years and we bought in 2014. Google have declined all requests to remove negative reviews and won't even remove the old address. We get people giving negative reviews because they can't find the store (which doesn't exist) and blames our business to business company. The company was registered on 11/07/14. We believe Google may have caused a drop in sales as a result of this inaction and in frustration we are considering legal avenues.  Can any one help with how to get Google to remove old and invalid reviews and remove the non-existent store address?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Removing review after buying an existing business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David R

That map listing should be marked as Closed >> use the suggest an edit in the map listing to mark it as closed.

Does the listing link to your website ?

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Removing review after buying an existing business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Tim - we now have the correct map listing, address and website link. But if you click on the Google photos it shows a picture of the old retail store in among our photos confusing people who new the old store. We have attempted to remove through Google ads and direct with Google my business support team but get told it is a "Computer Glitch" and they can't do anything. Even worse the comments from 4 years before we bought the business drag down our rating significantly! Even in recent times consumers crack it and rate us badly when they go to the old retail store, track us down and then get told their is no shop only B2B when they come to our office.