AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Questions about unclaimed listings linking to booking.com

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all.

I have a client who runs a site where people can book accommodation, though the site doesn't own the accommodation, but is an agent. A prominent competitor of theirs is booking.com.

Our client has pointed out a listing in Google My Business that's unclaimed yet includes a website link (the main website link) leading directly to a sales page on booking.com

Here's the listing in question: https://goo.gl/maps/85kuGc5MiHp

Our client is asking us why an unclaimed listing is leading to their competitor and also how the listing was created. Understandably, they want to know if:

1. They can expect to get similar listings created automatically, based on the listings on their site

2. If not, whether they can somehow create them manually.

Can anyone shed any light on these questions?

-----------------

To comply with the forum post guidelines:

Business name: Fastrack Group

Address: 7/9 Longland St, Newstead QLD 4006

Phone: (07) 3040 3588
Google+: https://plus.google.com/u/0/106340009775886829571

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oliver B
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Oliver B

for me  (or lets say IMHO) the main question is:

Is there  at the mentioned address and location a cottage under this name or not?

If there is one Google will have created it by their algos.

Booking.com is innocent regarding it.

And since it is an unverified listing the matter of eligibility according their (Googles) guidelines does't apply.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

two remarks @Oliver B

at first:

an unclaimed listing can contain any stuff you can imagine (facts and "alternative facts" if you understand what I refer too as "alterantive facts" - just rubbish)

secondly: (and I refer to your client "who runs a site where people can book accommodation, though the site doesn't own the accommodation, but is an agent")

in case the  business of your client is just an "sort of a  booking business" where people can book anhy or certain accomodation but not being faced "in person" by your client or his staff the business of the client is not eligible for a local listing.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks so much for your reply Helmut. Really appreciated it.

I think we've worked out what's happening here.

Booking.com have obviously set up a 'Hotel Ad' which was for a location that didn't previously exist in Google maps. So an automatic entry was created which included a website link to their sales page.

Does that sound right?

Here's the listing again: https://goo.gl/maps/85kuGc5MiHp

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Oliver B
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Oliver B

for me  (or lets say IMHO) the main question is:

Is there  at the mentioned address and location a cottage under this name or not?

And since it is an unverified listing the matter of eligibility according their (Googles) guidelines does't apply.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Helmut.

Is there at the mentioned address and location a cottage under this name or not?

- Yes

- Interesting - I would suggest the creation event was triggered when booking.com set up a Hotel Ad for the address (when it previously didn't exist in maps), hence the website link to them.

- I'm not suggesting foul-play, just interested in how this listing came to be. I'm also trying to answer my client's question of how they can achieve the same.

- Also interesting. Next test for us is to find a premises that our client lists that's not currently listed in maps, then run a Hotel Ad on it to see if our client gets the same result as booking.com seem to have (without meaning to).

Thanks again for your thoughts.