AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Ownership transfer and re-verification affects search rank?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just spoke to a GMB representative to transfer ownership of a page that is owned by someone else (a 3rd party marketing agency) and we do not have access to.

I followed the rules, submitted my request, and waited the two weeks for the page owner to respond. When they did not, I called Google.

The GMB rep indicated that by un-verifying the page so we can claim the listing, ALL search ranking would be lost. He then said once the page was re-verified, we would have to work to regain the search position for the page.

Is this true? Does this just affect the organic results, or would it affect Maps results, too? We currently have the #1 Maps listing, and don't want to risk losing that position.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Re: Ownership transfer and re-verification affects search rank?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
nobody knows for sure what or how their ranking algos deal with a listing getting reverified. At least I never read any complaints of users getting our advice to use the method of the HC article /support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
November 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
nobody knows for sure what or how their ranking algos deal with a listing getting reverified. At least I never read any complaints of users getting our advice to use the method of the HC article /support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Melanie,
I have gone through this process many times. What I can tell you from my experience, is that Un-Verifying, and then re-verifying will not cause the listing to lose rankings, it will pop back into the 3 pack and organic should be fine as well.
Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO