My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Our business got mixed up with a closed company in Mexico.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, hoping someone can help us solve this quickly -

Our company is http://www.google.com/+mercadolar. We have a fairly decent online presence. If you google our company name we are in the first 5-6 matches. All good. However, on the right hand side of the search results when searching "mercadolar", a Mexican company which is "Permanently Closed" shows up, along with an address very far away from 25 Broadway in NYC, where we are located. They were in a category of business which could be considered similar to ours, but they're definitely not us.

To make matters worse and exemplifying that there is a confusion going on - not that they are more relevant to the search term - that Local Business listing shows OUR website, https://www.mercadolar.com/ as being associated with them. We had this fixed by calling customer service last week, but it re-appeared today.

We would like this resolved as it's negatively affecting our online presence and also misleading to Google search users. We are not in Mexico City, as much as we would like to be in the winter. We are in NY. You're putting us on top of search results for the company name so obviously you find us relevant to the keyword but you are confusing our location with another, less present company.

It's a mixup that we'd like to find a way to fix with your help, please.

Thank you,

-Abe

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Our business got mixed up with a closed company in Mexico.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

I completely understand your frustration. The reason your business is not showing is because you don't appear to have a Google+ local page. Now I would only recommend you make one if you are a local business. If you do have an office that people can visit, feel free to make a Google+ local page and this will solve half of the issue. The other half of the issue is that your website URL is being associated with this closed company in Mexico. There is not much that we can do here apart from reporting it to the Google support team. I have just gone ahead and reported it for you so hopefully that will get sorted.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey,

I completely understand your frustration. The reason your business is not showing is because you don't appear to have a Google+ local page. Now I would only recommend you make one if you are a local business. If you do have an office that people can visit, feel free to make a Google+ local page and this will solve half of the issue. The other half of the issue is that your website URL is being associated with this closed company in Mexico. There is not much that we can do here apart from reporting it to the Google support team. I have just gone ahead and reported it for you so hopefully that will get sorted.

I hope this helps

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Abe

Couple of observations:
the other business Google is confusing you with, is this page: https://plus.google.com/100788736584011103384/
I can see that your website is attached to that local page.
1) Call google support https://support.google.com/business/?hl=en#topic=4539639&contact=1 and explain the problem. They should be able to get the website removed from the listing.
2) I'm also curious - your home page shows JSON markup for both an organisation *and* a local business. But I"m not seeing a local business page set up in Google Plus. And the page you've mentioned is a brand page.
As well, check the links in the markup - I believe the one for your google plus page needs a little tweaking to work.
Having markup for both may be a little confusing for the bots - who are easily confused...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Looks like I was writing at the same time as ryan!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you both, for the quick reply! We've called twice. On both occasions, the association between our website and that company was removed, and a few days later it pops up again. It's there now - the local listing on the right hand side of the page shows a picture of the outside of that company, their address, and a "Website" button that links to us. This is pretty disastrous for us.

I've removed the organization JSON markup. Our Google+ profile has our full address and contact info, and I'm not seeing a "Create Local Business Page" button anywhere.. could you point me in the right direction to get that done?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok I think I got it... but it's asking us to wait for a postcard to be sent to verify our business, although all our domains are verified in Search Console. Shouldn't we have the phone verification option available?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Ibrahim
Getting the feeling this may not be a quick fix, as the bots seem to have it firmly in their "head" that the two businesses are the same.

Google switches the verification options available based on a number of factors, which I've never fully figured out. Your question is fair, and a number of people have asked the same question. So far, G does not seem to be changing their processes. We get what we get. Maybe a TC or such can enlighten us both?

We want Google to follow its own trail about the association of the businesses, and having the links right in the JSON should help. As well, following the links to a Google local page *may* be one of the things to disconnect the association between you and the Mexican company.

Once you get the page verified, take the URL from the local business page and add it to your JSON markup. I should clarify - your business does have an office/shopfront people can visit in person during posted business hours, yes? You're not strictly an online business?

Find me on · · my blog