AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Our 'Google My Business' is STILL showing a competitor.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When searching for our business (a well known media agency), a competitor still shows out in the panel on the right hand side. Our business is Exterion Media (https://www.exterionmedia.com) and the business being displayed is Outfront Media. 

We have been through the advice from Google - about posting more content - and even see regular emails about how many times our images and content is being seen - yet Outfront are still hijacking our space.

This has been going on for months now. How do we correct this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Our 'Google My Business' is STILL showing a competitor.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

I have looked over the Google SERPs (search engine results pages) and do see what you are seeing. 

However, when I add London to your business name, your full Google Knowledge Panel shows and is well-populated... as you can see in the screenshot below. 

london agency.jpg

What this tells me is that you likely have more than one category added to your Google My Business listing. If you do, simply remove all but one and then give it 3-5 days and your Google Knowledge Panel should show for just your company name. Media and advertising agencies have a spam filter to deal with and having more than one category causes issues for the Google Knowledge Panel authority. 

Please let us know what you discover. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks James. We have followed your advice and have removed 'the other' category. We'll give it a few days and let you know if this resolves the issue.

Thanks again.

Pete

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

You are very welcome... and I look forward to your update. :)

All the Best,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James.

Frustratingly this has not flushed the problem through. We removed the additional category (so now just one) and have been publishing more content too. We even had an automated email from Google stating 39,927 people found us in Google over the last month - and all other KPIs were up - along with our 5 star rating.

This is a really serious problem - as the Knowledge Graph is the most prominent area on the Google SERPs - and presently it shows a competitor's details when someone searches us by name.

Do you know if there is a dedicated support channel inside Google to help us?

Really appreciate the community help.

Thanks.

Pete