1.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

New owner bad reviews from old owner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We are having some problems (the same we've had with the likes of Tripadvisor for a while) with clients (hotel guests) blackmailing us with bad reviews.

Just today, we have received another one, from a lady who left her phone at the Hotel and we were kind enough to locate it and post it back to her.

That being said, she wanted it overnight, however, it is really not up to us to decide how long the post office will take to deliver it.

She has threatened us a few times now by e-mail.

What do we do? Who do we advise and how?

Thank you very much for your assistance in this matter.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: New owner bad reviews from old owner

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Is this you?

To help with your question, please provide:
1. The Google Local Page URL
2. Your Website URL
3. Full Business name, Address and Phone number

If that is you, I cannot find the review. More than likely though from the sounds of it Google will not remove the review. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Re: New owner bad reviews from old owner

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Mr Fisher,

Thank you very much for your reply.

That is us indeed. That particular review has not yet been posted, however, as you will be able to see , there is a review by a Matthew Toohey who is non existent in our system and was never a guest of ours. We know who he is posting on behalf of, and it is just preposterous that people can do that to small hard working business such as us.

The concept of reviews may be fairly new to quite a few business ventures, however, hotels are used to the good old blackmail through Tripadvisor for some time now.

While feedback is always welcome, it is too easy to create fake accounts and "trash" any business. That should definitely not be allowed.

As you said, Google will most likely not remove it and we are left with the "bad rep".

So, we find a phone that a guest left behind (we are not responsible for items left in rooms), advise her we found it and kindly ask her for her address so we can send it back to her. Because the post office will take a few of days to deliver, she expected us to speed things up (how, we have no idea). We even created an account for her so that she could track her phone as well.

Apparently, that is not good enough and we are worthy of a 1 star review. And Google deems that acceptable...?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

ok, well if the review has not been posted yet, we cannot assist you. Regarding the other review, I do not see any violations with GMB guidelines. When/If the other review presents itself, feel free to open a new thread or call Google directly. 

To have a call with Google about this.
They are available during normal business hours on weekdays. Please try this avenue and see if they can resolve your issue. 

Ben Fisher, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter and Founder at Steady Demand - Social SEO 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Mr Fisher,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand you may not see any violations, however, from our point of view, someone who posts a review without having used our services seems a bit odd.

Anybody can post reviews about anybody, without fear of consequences. That simply puts businesses in a tight spot. Once again, we welcome feedback and believe that it definitely helps businesses improve, however, giving 1 star to anyone is simply too far, unless you paid for a service you never received.

People should have to log into their accounts with their real name and show proof that they have utilised the services of a business in order to write such a review that, in many places, is considered defamation and slander. Google, Tripadvisor, Facebook all take the road of "hey, not my problem", however, by allowing people to write whatever they want about whoever they want, in anonymity, is simply duty of care.

We have received a few 2 and 3 star reviews that were 100% honest. We looked at it, called the guest and changed our standard operating procedures in order to ensure such issues never happen again. Despite damaging our online presence, such an honest review allowed us to improve and make our business better. We welcome that.

Nevertheless, reviews such as the one in question are there with the mere draconian purpose of hurting someone. And that, Mr Fisher, should be unacceptable.

Thank you again for taking the time to respond to us.

Have a great day!

Our most sincere regards.