Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Need to restore Administrative rights to My Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Full business name : Short Pump Family Dentistry
2. Current business address : 201 Towne Center West Blvd, Suite 709, Richmond VA 23233
3. Current telephone number : w: (804) 332-5505      c: (804) 833-3432
4. Google Maps URL : https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6591094,-77.6260419,19.5z

A few months back I hired a company, BrandRep, to handle my SEOs.  I didn't realize at the time that meant giving them administrative rights to My Business account.  Now I am listed as the "Communications manager", and they are the "Primary Owner".  I have terminated my contract with them at the beginning of May.  I would like to have my administrative rights back.  I am currently unable to make any changes to my listing.  I've contacted them and they said to contact Google and everything will be straightened out since they are a Google partner.  BrandRep says they can't restore it, only Google can.  

Can someone please help?  I really need to get in and change my business of operation hours.

Thank you

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

If this is your business, https://www.google.com/maps/place/Short+Pump+Family+Dentistry:+Dr.+Yun+%22David%22+Tse+DDS/@37.66866...

then yes, they can easily transfer ownership back to over to you. All they need to do is click on who has access and click on the drop down next to your name and select primary owner. You will get an email advising you that this been. They need to initiate it on their end. The entire process will take them less than a minute to do.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for replying Jason B.

If you mean "they" as in BrandRep, they said they can't do it.  Only Google can do that.  Sounds like some BS to me too, but that's what they said.  Feels like they've taken me hostage.  They also said once Google verifies that our contract has been terminated, Google will restore my administrative rights.  I thought about re-verifying the business, but that would create a duplicate and I'll lose all my positive reviews.  Not sure what else to do.  

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

It is BS. Google can't force them the give up access. Here is what you can do. Create an email address with your domain. map@shortpumpfamilydentistry.com then create a Google My Business listing. Google will let you know its a duplicate and you need to tell them you can't contact the owner on file. They will send a request to ask the owner to give you access or transfer ownership. If they do not reply after a week, then you can follow back up with Google and then they should release the listing to you, you will need to claim the business and have to wait another week to get the pin. Its a lot of wasted time instead of them fixing the issue in less than a minute. 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yes, and just to add to Jason's comment... when you go to create the listing, you will start typing the name of the business in the business name field and then select the existing listing that auto-populates as you type. When you hit 'continue' it will tell you that someone else has verified the listing. From there you click on 'request ownership'.

Doing this from an account associated with an email address that matches the domain name of the business (as Jason suggested) will make it easier for Google to determine that you are the rightful owner and that you should be given a chance to verify the listing regardless of whether the current owner accepts or denies the request.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TomW,

So you're actually saying to verify the business again?  Won't that create a duplicate?  Or is that how you get things to start moving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you guys know if I'll lose all my positive reviews by going this route?

Re: Need to restore Administrative rights to My Business

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @David T

It won't create a duplicate if you select the existing listing when start the process of adding a new listing. See in the screen capture below... select your business from the dropdown as you type in your business name. Then when you click 'continue' it will tell you the listing is already claimed. And it will give you the option to request access.

You will not lose reviews.

short-pump.png

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you TomW.  It finally saw the screen for transfer ownership.  Never occurred to me I had to use a different email address (which kind of sucks).  So now I'll wait 7 days and see what happens next.  My biggest concern was losing the positive reviews I've worked so hard to accumulate.  Thanks again.

Rising Star
# 10
Rising Star

You won't lose the reviews or photos, they will all be transferred over.