AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Need Google to transfer ownership from an ad agency holding our listing hostage

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I represent a dental practice that does not have primary ownership of its listing. Instead, an agency that was previously used for Web hosting and IT owns the account, and, they appear to be unwilling to transfer ownership over.

The account I'm using now is a manager of the business, so the option to "request access" suggested in the support documents isn't appearing.

Is there any way to resolve this and take back ownership of the listing?

Here's the practice information:

Layman, Shirman & Associates

9305 Market Square Dr.
Streetsboro, OH 44241

Phone: 330-422-0011

https://www.google.com/maps?cid=2774135603518549184

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Layman S
December

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 13
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry for the extremely long delay in getting back on this. (There was a quite a bit of internal discussion between the practice, IT and the web provider on how to proceed.)

I wanted to thank you again for your help and let you know that our problem has been resolved.

We were working with Google AdWords support to get ownership of that account. In addition to helping with that, were also able to facilitate the transfer of both the Google My Business and YouTube channels.

View solution in original post

Re: Need Google to transfer ownership from an ad agency holding our listing hostage

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Layman S

Add the same location again to your account >> https://business.google.com/manage/

Follow the steps through to Verification >> re verify and you should become Primary Owner

Google My Business (1).png

Let me know how this goes.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Re: Need Google to transfer ownership from an ad agency holding our listing hostage

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Layman S

Just adding to this.

It would be worth sending the agency a link to Google My Business Guidelines.

Always respond to management access requests promptly, and always transfer listing ownership to the business owner immediately upon request. Authorised representatives must, whenever possible, encourage the business owner to create an account, own the listing and add authorised representatives as managers

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Tim.

I tried doing this, and I'm given the choice to choose between choosing the existing listing or clicking "This doesn't match."

Screen Shot 2017-11-02 at 9.24.54 AM.png

If I select the existing listing, I see a message saying "This business is already in your account."

Should I be choosing "This doesn't match" instead?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Layman S

Nope.

I will ask the team to check whats going on.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Layman S

The ownership has been removed from the listing and is now unverified.

Please go ahead and claim ownership of this listing:

https://goo.gl/maps/3AznMtoheRt

Have a great weekend.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Tim.

I've done as you suggested, and verified the listing, but nothing has changed. The ad agency is still listed as the primary owner.

I also want to point out that we have an attached YouTube channel and Google Analytics account, which the agency is also the primary owner of. We need all of this transferred over to our account. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Layman S,

Is the agency that you are referring to Einstein Medical? If so, I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Thanks.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Layman S

I see the account is now verified again. I dont see how it was possible for them to re claimed the listing - unless they used the Google search console, which looks to be the case because you also now mention they have control of your analytics.

In regards to analytics, and prevent this from happening again - get your developer to remove the Analytics tracking code from the website.

Then set up new Analytics and Google search console on the website in your New Account.

I have no idea about the You Tube.

I will ask them to remove the primary owner again.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Tim.

Have you heard anything back about getting the primary owner removed from this listing?

I tried asking about the YouTube channel on YouTube's help forum and was just told that I was out of luck. Hardly the answer I was looking for.