AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Looking for suggestions or ideas regarding these “Google My Business” listings

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Dear Google Community,

I am looking for suggestions or ideas regarding these “Google My Business” listings.  We are a company which provides a service and works with restaurant.  Similar to BeyondMenu, SliceLife, EatStreet and probably hundreds of more smaller “Local” providers such as us all over the country.

Technically we all “Represent” the business and the businesses agree to work with us and sign up for our services.  As they most likely sign up to multiple services at one time which is the standard practice as it doesn’t really matter which company the customers come from.  

Unfortunately Google has put so much emphasis on their “Google Local Results” that it makes the entire web irrelevant especially on mobile searches, forcing 3rd party providers to play a game of volleyball between each other with Google My Business listing.  The company that “Currently Manages” the My Business listing is the one with the ball benefiting. 

90% of Restaurant Owners are nearly unfamiliar with what this even is.  This is why there are constant changes between owners and managers of the listings.  One week company A has a listing, another company calls saying they need the “Google Code” and then they own it, then next week another company , etc…. 

Technically nobody is the “Bad Guy” here.  Companies are forced to do whatever to funnel traffic to the restaurant.   The question is, can there be a solution to this?  We have never wanted to play this game of “Volleyball”.  But the more time goes by, the more Google makes their listing prominent, leaving us without a choice if we want to survive as a company.

I am open minded and looking for some ideas on how to proceed and if there could be a solution.

Thank you all for your support

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Looking for suggestions or ideas regarding these “Google My Business” listings

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @Alex D,

@Alex D wrote:

Dear Google Community,

staffs

I am looking for suggestions or ideas regarding these “Google My Business” listings.  We are a company which provides a service and works with restaurant.  Similar to BeyondMenu, SliceLife, EatStreet and probably hundreds of more smaller “Local” providers such as us all over the country.

Honestly and I mean no offence here, I believe that business owners shouldn't allow any of the companies like yours, BeyondMenu, MenuS, etcetera to manage their listing. 

As, these entities aren't the "owners" of the business and I believe Google My Business is a product built for owners to gain more control over their listing.

Even the provision in the guidelines that allows for a third party authorised by the business to manage the listing, I believe is chiefly aimed at allowing business owners that don't have the time to manage the listings's information, reply to reviews, make regular posts, affect search engine optimisations on the business's listing and website to delegate these tasks to a company in exchange for a fee.

As far as I can understand, it is not meant for companies like, BeyondMenu, etc that are essentially food delivery services to have control over the listing.

Technically we all “Represent” the business and the businesses agree to work with us and sign up for our services.  As they most likely sign up to multiple services at one time which is the standard practice as it doesn’t really matter which company the customers come from.  

As such, I cannot understand how a food delivery service, or an SEO company even has the right or justification to "represent" the business. Maybe a PR company would.

Unfortunately Google has put so much emphasis on their “Google Local Results” that it makes the entire web irrelevant especially on mobile searches, forcing 3rd party providers to play a game of volleyball between each other with Google My Business listing.  The company that “Currently Manages” the My Business listing is the one with the ball benefiting. 

90% of Restaurant Owners are nearly unfamiliar with what this even is.  This is why there are constant changes between owners and managers of the listings.  One week company A has a listing, another company calls saying they need the “Google Code” and then they own it, then next week another company , etc….

I agree that this is something that has to be stopped, by adding specific guidelines to prevent all companies like this to have control over the listing.

I don't think that these companies really have the business's interest in consideration. They want to drive traffic to their delivery platforms. 

Naturally, partnering with such a platform could bring added revenue, but why is there a need for the delivery company to be allowed to claim the listing? 

I don't see listings for Apple Stores being claimed by FedEx, do you?

Technically nobody is the “Bad Guy” here.  Companies are forced to do whatever to funnel traffic to the restaurant.   The question is, can there be a solution to this?  We have never wanted to play this game of “Volleyball”.  But the more time goes by, the more Google makes their listing prominent, leaving us without a choice if we want to survive as a company.

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this statement as well.

The reason that companies like these claim listings is to drive traffic to their delivery platforms, not the other way around and, perhaps also extort the owner by charging a fee to give them back control of the listing or making them stick to their delivery platform by holding their Google My Business listing as ransom.

I am open minded and looking for some ideas on how to proceed and if there could be a solution.

I am glad that you are open minded.

I am as well. I am not from this country and may have got some of the basic facts wrong, am willing to admit it if I am.

If I were managing a company like yours, I would make the owner of business the "Primary Owner" and set myself as a Manager and also inform the owner and the employees not to reveal the verification code to anyone.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for suggestions or ideas regarding these “Google My Business” listings

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @Alex D,

@Alex D wrote:

Dear Google Community,

staffs

Honestly and I mean no offence here, I believe that business owners shouldn't allow any of the companies like yours, BeyondMenu, MenuS, etcetera to manage their listing. 

As, these entities aren't the "owners" of the business and I believe Google My Business is a product built for owners to gain more control over their listing.

Even the provision in the guidelines that allows for a third party authorised by the business to manage the listing, I believe is chiefly aimed at allowing business owners that don't have the time to manage the listings's information, reply to reviews, make regular posts, affect search engine optimisations on the business's listing and website to delegate these tasks to a company in exchange for a fee.

As far as I can understand, it is not meant for companies like, BeyondMenu, etc that are essentially food delivery services to have control over the listing.

As such, I cannot understand how a food delivery service, or an SEO company even has the right or justification to "represent" the business. Maybe a PR company would.

I agree that this is something that has to be stopped, by adding specific guidelines to prevent all companies like this to have control over the listing.

I don't think that these companies really have the business's interest in consideration. They want to drive traffic to their delivery platforms. 

Naturally, partnering with such a platform could bring added revenue, but why is there a need for the delivery company to be allowed to claim the listing? 

I don't see listings for Apple Stores being claimed by FedEx, do you?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with this statement as well.

The reason that companies like these claim listings is to drive traffic to their delivery platforms, not the other way around and, perhaps also extort the owner by charging a fee to give them back control of the listing or making them stick to their delivery platform by holding their Google My Business listing as ransom.

If I were managing a company like yours, I would make the owner of business the "Primary Owner" and set myself as a Manager and also inform the owner and the employees not to reveal the verification code to anyone.

Thank you for being open minded and I mean no offence in this reply.