AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

LISTING HIJACKED

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi the following listing has become hacked somehow. 

Hoover Lock & Key, Inc.  
Website
10 Google reviews
Locksmith
Address: 3229 Lorna Rd, Birmingham, AL 35216
Phone: (205) 208-1380
Hours: Open today · Open 24 hours

That phone number is WRONG and if you call the number and ask

"IS THIS HOOVER LOCK AND KEY?" THEY SAY "ehh we provide the same services if you're interested." 

The owner of Hoover lock and key is evidently an older gentleman who believes that google is "trying to charge him" to be listed, so I suspect that this listing was possibly unmanaged/verified and just on google because ...its real... but this needs to be fixed ASAP

You will notice their has a different phone number.

You can speak with the Alabama Locksmith Association, Specifically Lee Schofield about this issue if you have any doubts. The number I have for the Owner is 205-365-0509

locksmithala.org

Chairman
Lee Schofield
334-832-4920

Co-Chairman
Van Johnson
256-734-7148

Co-Chairman
Bryan Rayburn
251-895-6098

Executive Director
205-552-8200

Treasure
Daniel Loper
251-366-7377​
3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert B
February 2017

Re: LISTING HIJACKED

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

Hi @Robert B , @TomW

They have corrected the tel number and they have removed the ownership from the listing.

It is now unverified, so if someone could let the correct owner know to claim it, before it happens again.

Thanks for Reporting

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Mike Blumenthal would you have any advice for this? I don't know how "tech Savvy" the owner is, I believe this may be why he was targeted. He said "All google want's is money" when I asked him if he had attempted to manage or contact google regarding the issue. He said if he could get an invoice from the company who is scamming as his legitimate business name, he could stop them, unfortunately in the real world these guys only hand out "Service Invoices" that are blank, generic and hand written so on paper they are not claiming to be anyone, but here on the google listing they are skimming their business as most folks are not going to click thru vs clicking call button on Google maps 

LISTING HIJACKED

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I am not the right person for this. 

You might try Tim Capper

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Tim Capper can you assist? I went by their shop today to discuss the issue. They are very upset. See attached photos to verify my claim20170201_125211.jpg

20170201_105425.jpg

20170201_130432.jpg

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I called Hoover Lock & Key yesterday to confirm the number showing on the listing is incorrect. I could tell by looking at the listing in mapmaker that the number was changed from (205) 823-2843 to (205) 208-1380 on January 11. I tried changing it back via suggest an edit but was immediately denied. The hint for the account the listing was verified with is pa...@gmail.com. The gentleman I talked to at Hoover Lock & Key had no idea about the email, or really anything about the listing at all.

I'm not sure if the listing had been claimed but someone was able to change the phone number through suggest an edit, or if the listing was unclaimed and someone was able to change the phone number then verify it in their account. My guess was that it was a claimed listing and someone was able to change the number but I'm not 100%. Regardless, it would be great to get the number corrected and make sure someone at the business has ownership of it. Hopefully @Tim Capper can provide more help than I was able to. Tim, please let me know if there's anything I can do to assist here.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

LISTING HIJACKED

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@RBPED

So there true phone # is (205) 823-2843

and not (205) 208-1380 is that correct.

LISTING HIJACKED

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yes this is correct. Please by all means call if you doubt me. You can call and say 

Is this Hoover lock key and they will say just about anything except yes

Very dodgy and vague. They will say usually " no this is 24 hour locksmith services. "

*They* (the folks with the bogus number)

Are part of what SHOULD be a well known scam by now. They bait and switch $15-$35 to "come out" plus "labor" that is not relevealed until arrival.  thus $125 to unlock a car door. Somehow evidently they claimed this listing. I am trying to educate  the folks in the area about Google My Business because just about every locksmith  that I know in our area believes that you have to pay to be on GMB. There is even a company that is not Google but basically it's a robocall that says there is a problem with your Google listing press one to be connected to someone who can help. eventually they get around to asking for $$$ so I think this has confused them but I digress the phone number is wrong and it's literally funelling money to an Illegal operation as they (the hijackers) are not in compliance with state law

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Robert B 

I also tried to correct but rejected.

I am going to bump this up the chain for the team.

Hey @TomW you say they did not know about the listing. I am guessing that someone there probably did verify it at some stage, or else why hijack and not change the URL to your own hoover lock and key site.

I'll ask them to look at that too.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

LISTING HIJACKED

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tim

I have a problem much like this and I can not seem to get it resolved.  I have talked to Google 2 times in Dec Idid what they told me to do and it did not get resolved I talked to them in Jan and again no resolution.  I just want to get my number corrected and ownership back to me.  The way it is now all of my info in the google my business is me except the phone number and it goes to a competitors number.  You can look me up on Statefarm.com agent finder to see that it is me but the number is wrong I have tried to explain this to the people at google my business to get now where can you please help?  I am not a very techie person and just want to get this corrected.

Chip Wentz state farm https://www.statefarm.com/agent/US/OH/Avon-Lake/Chip-Wentz-FKYX41YS000

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hey @Tim Capper

Yes, that was my thought too. I would guess someone helped them claim the listing in the past but possibly moved on and never gave them the login info.

But I have seen people link to the website of a well known business from their listing (to try to help it rank better) hoping that people will just call instead of clicking through to the website. So you never know!

Thanks for escalating. And thanks for helping them out @Robert B, particularly since I believe you are a competitor of theirs?

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.