AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Is it possible for legit SMB owner to NOT have access to own page?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,  

I'm hoping someone can point out posts in this forum, or recount their experiences in especially tricky situations with trying to verify or claim a small business page. Worst case scenarios.

Unusual ownership disputes for example, or  pages that took many calls and an excessive amount of time to claim for whatever reason.

Does anyone have any experiences (or posts) to share on this, and how you managed to resolve the issue?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Is it possible for legit SMB owner to NOT have access to own page?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Reagan A

If its the case that an agency is not releasing the ownership, I have found that Business support will remove it from their account almost instantly, especially if it a known problem agency.

http://onlineownership.com/get-my-business-page-back-from-map-registrations/

In the UK we have one such agency, called Map Registrations. I have removed several accounts from their ownership with business support, with a phone call.

You then claim the unverified page.

GMB takes this very seriously now, especially with their new updated guidelines.

Ownership Section:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Reagan A

Claiming and verifying a page is pretty straight forward and not an issue.

The issues that normally arise is that when they verify it, it becomes "suspended for spammy behaviour"

This is because the owner when going through the creation process, did not check whether a version of their business already existed and should have claimed that business page rather then create a new one.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Reagan, do you have a specific problem you can tell us about?
Colan Nielsen, Google My Business Top Contributor
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter
VP, Local Search at Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
For example, if an agency or some third party verifies and owns a page for an SMB and then refuses to grant access to the biz owner or another agency acting on their behalf.

When you contact support they insist that you provide the email the page is under (even partially), and I would like to know more about their process in contacting a page owner *not* authorized by biz owner, and finally making the decision to unverify and allowing biz owner to reverify.

I'm aware of and have gone through the usual process of sending a request and following up in 7 and 14 days. Usually I find it is trickier to gain access when you have a brand with a combination of bulk feed and floater pages individually managed by franchise owners.

So for SMB's I want to determine how long it would take Google support to resolve ownership conflicts like what I described. I've been looking around this forum for similar situations and have not really found anything yet, and thought I would ask. :-)

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks for the detail Reagan. It drives me nuts to hear about third party companies that make it difficult for business owners to get control of their listings.

Have you tried using phone support to resolve the issues? https://support.google.com/business/contact/business_c2c_na?hl=en&ec=other&cfsi=verification_conflic...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Colan - have you heard of specific cases like that you can share?
Specifically I am anticipating being handed off quite a few tricky SMB pages that an agency was unable to resolve and gain access to. I expect to be using phone support a great deal in the near future, but in the meantime I am not sure what I may be up against. I am presuming that - in the end - regardless of being denied access by an agency or forgetting credentials, an eligible business owner at a valid and verifiable address should be able to gain ownership of their page 95 percent of the time. Would you agree with this?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Reagan A I don't have any specific cases to share. 

"I am presuming that - in the end - regardless of being denied access by an agency or forgetting credentials, an eligible business owner at a valid and verifiable address should be able to gain ownership of their page 95 percent of the time. Would you agree with this?"

Yes I would agree. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Reagan A

If its the case that an agency is not releasing the ownership, I have found that Business support will remove it from their account almost instantly, especially if it a known problem agency.

http://onlineownership.com/get-my-business-page-back-from-map-registrations/

In the UK we have one such agency, called Map Registrations. I have removed several accounts from their ownership with business support, with a phone call.

You then claim the unverified page.

GMB takes this very seriously now, especially with their new updated guidelines.

Ownership Section:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, it's good to know that Google support can be aware of problem agencies or suspicious ownership and will quickly unverify the page.