AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Impersonation Report Denied

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys!

I have a client with duplicate listings out there. We own and manage one of them, but the other one has denied our ownership transfer request (we want to merge them) despite our client no longer doing business with them. As per a Google rep's suggestion, I reported the page as impersonation, using the client's business license that matches the name on our listing, but it was denied. Is there another way to reach out to them and see why this is so? It is not bulk verified.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashley B - Even if GMB support tells you via email that the request has been denied they should still be able to help you by phone support. Explain the situation and tell them that the owner of that other listing isn't anyone at the actual business. There's a good chance they'll release the other listing but they will need to call the business to get approval. If someone at the business will say they grant permission for the listing to be transferred to you, they should release it. At that point you won't want to claim it, but instead have support "merge" the listing with the one you already have claimed.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@TomW, unfortunately, that didn't work. They proceeded to tell me that the business license wasn't good enough, it needs to be from a business domain or they will not even look into it. Thank you for your assistance though!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Ashley B - I have never gone the impersonation route but I have had success doing the steps I mentioned. And it didn't require a business license. If the owner of the listing is not someone at the actual business they should be willing to help. Ask support to look at the domain name of the email address that owns the listing. If the email address appears to be affiliated with a different business (like a marketing company or some other third party) they will be more likely to assist with transferring it to the rightful owner. And a tip for talking to GMB phone support: be friendly and patient.

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, this is the strangest thing. I just got an alert of this thread and you mentioning me Tom. But the thing is - I didn't post this. I certainly didn't post this 5 hours ago. 

What's going on? 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Sorry about that @Ashley B - I have noticed that the forum sometimes sends the notification to the wrong user on mentions. In this case there are two "Ashley B" users and the alert went to you instead of the Ashley B that made the earlier posts on this thread.