My Business
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

ILLEGAL ADULT business listing at my home address!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I live in NYC and discovered that someone has listed an illegal adult massage business (with the words "Happy Endings" in the business name) using the address of my residence. I learned of this after unsavory looking men started showing up and asking about getting a "massage". I called the phone number of the business pretending to be a prospective client and learned that they are actually located on the next street. I have made edit suggestions numerous times over the past few weeks, along with accurate descriptions of exactly what was going on, to no avail. I also spoke to someone at Google My Business Help, but all they could do was tell me to suggest the edits. 

Needless to say, I do not feel safe for my family with this listing at my residential address, and I want to get it removed as quickly as possible. 

Can anyone please suggest the best and fastest way to do this, since the edits do not seem to do anything at all.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Robert F
February 2016

Re: ILLEGAL ADULT business listing at my home address!

Top Contributor
# 18
Top Contributor
I'ii try arranging to get the address changed if you will tell me what the address is in reality

View solution in original post

Re: Fake ILLEGAL ADULT business listing at my home address!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I forgot to mention that I realize I that can claim this business and probably easily remove it that way, but in order to do that I would need to first verify it by having a postcard mailed to me. Since I live on the first floor of a 6 family townhouse, I do not want to do that since my neighbors might see the postcard and suspect that this business is actually mine!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Robert F

So is it your business name as such ?

If you want to claim it >> then in the box that says : Verify by Postcard

There is a link that also says >> Verify Later

If you click this, you can then EDIT the name, to your business, add logo, images, descriptions

Then verify it

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Robert,

Can you share the URL of the listing?

Grace

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tim,

Edits will NOT be accepted until a business is verified. The following message is displayed in this case:

"Your edits won't show up on Google unless you verify your business."

Thanks for the suggestion though.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Grace,

I suppose I could, but then I would be giving out my home address here. Not that this is necessarily a problem or that I don't trust anyone here on the forum, but I am also not sure whether providing the URL will lead to a solution. I was hoping that I was missing something simple and that one of the more knowledgeable people here could point me in the right direction on handling this issue. It seems absurd to me that anyone at any time can create a hoax listing or (even just a child's prank) like this with no way for the victim to remedy the situation.

Thank you for replying, and please let me know if providing the URL will help lead to a solution.

Robert

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Robert,

I'm sorry I didn't think of it that way. If it's the listing I think it is, I believe one of the Google Maps users has marked the listing as removed less than 24 hours ago. To confirm, can you visit https://www.google.com/mapmaker, enter the name of the business with address, select the listing from the sidebar menu and in the maps section click on Review in the pop-up. In the sidebar you should see the details of the edits (click on Pending and view the last edit).

You should see the following after the maps user's name.

7.png

Please update the thread to let me know if it's the correct listing.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Grace,

Thanks for the response. That must be a different listing. The one at my address is still there. I've suggested edits many times and gotten the emails saying that they were under review, yet weeks have passed with no changes yet. I have no idea how to get this removed. Once it is finally removed, I'd hope that it could be erased completely.
Robert

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Robert F

I beleive we need your help to better help you.
Please specify the listing in question.

I agree you wont post it here in the public.

I offer you to sent it me directly: you can contact me offline the forum through this form after reading it's disclaimer

I will then to try my best to discuss with our Google communication manager how to help you best.

Regards

ehg

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Call the business (if you dare) and talk to the staff about this error. Google sends a postcard to the address that requires a response, so it may be identity theft of your address. Take action offline too.