AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

I believe a competitor has marked us as permanently closed, how can I find out who made the edit?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kemptville Computers

308 Rideau Street Kemptville Ontario K0G1J0 Canada

613-218-5322

MAPS URL

www.kemptvillecomputers.com

Long story short, My business has been slow for the last few months and I suspected it was something to with some other advertising I had let lapse. But when doing a sort of "check up" on my online presence today I found that someone had marked my business as being permanently closed.   We recently had a competitor move aggressively into the area and I'm wondering if there is any log of who made the changes as this has been very damaging. 

I've changed the listing and was immediately able to mark it back to being open, but I have no way of knowing how long it's been like that for.  I don't check it regularly since I assumed I would be notified of any changes to the listing.

It's also disconcerting because as far as I knew, I had control over the business listing. I didn't receive any notifications regarding any changes. I also had to reclaim the business as my own upon discovering the change.

I found an older post from 2016 that mentioned using google map maker to look at the history of edits, but google map maker is no longer operational. Is there somewhere else I can pull this data from? Or anyone from Google that can help me with this?  

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
3w

Re: I believe a competitor has marked us as permanently closed, how can I find out who made the edit

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
You should have gotten an email notification about the change, they are suppose to be sent out whenever there is a 'suggest an edit' made.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know who marked your business as close - only Google knows that and they won't release that information.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
3w

Re: I believe a competitor has marked us as permanently closed, how can I find out who made the edit

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
You should have gotten an email notification about the change, they are suppose to be sent out whenever there is a 'suggest an edit' made.

Unfortunately, there is no way to know who marked your business as close - only Google knows that and they won't release that information.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for responding, and that's too bad that there is no way to know. I have a fairly good idea of who it was, but without proof there isn't much that can be done.

After posting, I double checked my emails and while I was receiving analytics reports and TOS updates from google on that account, I did not receive a single change notification email. I'll likely be checking this at least once a month to make sure it hasn't been messed with.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Yeah, unfortunately you are 'suppose' to get notifications but I wouldn't hold your breath. I would suggest taking 5 mins a week (at the very the least) to ensure your listing is up to date, check up on reviews and any q&a.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Charles,

Nathan is correct and I would only add that if you have this happen repeatedly you should contact support so they can look into who is abusing the system. The person responsible can be held responsible and Google will shut down their accounts (all) with Google. Abuse is not something tolerated but sadly it does happen.

Best practices would be to check your Google My Business dashboard weekly and respond to reviews, make posts, add photos and check over suggested edits.

Kind Regards,

James