My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

How to regain ownership of my Google Local business name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

About a year and a half ago I paid someone to get my business listed on the first page of Google Local for housecleaning. The guy turned out to be a scam artist, created a poor account that didnt even show up in Honolulu listings for housecleaning, and ran off with the money refusing to respond to me to get the password for the google local business account. I want to regain control of my own listing and can easily prove to be the owner of the business.

Business name: High Class Housecleaning

Address: 1069 Lunalilo Home Rd, Honolulu, HI, 96825

Phone: 808-785-6554

Google+URL: that is what is in question.

Please get back to me as soon as possible as this has really hampered my business' revenue and I have had no success trying to contact a staff member at Google over many months of trying.

Re: How to regain ownership of my Google Local business name?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Optimus,

I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience! I've checked for your Google My Business listing and cannot find one under the business name provided. Is this the same info that you had provided to the person originally?
If so, it seems that you do not have a listing. You can add and verify your business by following the instructions at https://www.google.com/business/ - select 'start now'.
Also, this address appears to be a residential address, so be sure to follow the best practices for a service area business by indicating 'I serve customers at my business address'. https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163?hl=en

Best regards,
Meghan

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Sorry to hear that, there's a lot of people out there giving marketing a bad rap. On the plus side, looks like this guy didn't cause any permanent damage at least, and won't leave you with too many roadblocks to overcome to get back on track. 

I found your old listing:
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=90&cid=9022448125833777160

It's been deleted for suspected spam. In other words, you're safe to create a new account and start over from scratch, no need to hassle with worrying about what was done before. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Meghan,

So if I add a residential address but list my business as solely service area based will I still show up on the map search for those areas even if its far away from my address? Do you recommend I start a new google account entirely or can I register my business under this current user account? This is the one I post on youtube with etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James,

Do you recommend I create a new account entirely or can I add a business to this account? I post on youtube etc. with this account but I also have a separate email already set up for the business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, and when I click on the link you provided and click "start now" the first thing it does is go to a map to find my business. If it isn't listed yet how can I find it?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
In my experience, it's easier on business owners to use a business email for all business related activities, but you can use either gmail to claim and manage your listing.

To get started, search "High Class Housecleaning 1069 Lunalilo Home Rd, Honolulu, HI, 96825" and, yes you wont be able to find your business since it was deleted before - so you'll select the option "None of these match, Add your business". Google will walk you through the setup process, but remember to set your service area and hide your address per Google help: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038163

Regarding your business with a service area - first, it is Google's best practice for businesses that deliver services to their customers to be set up as a service area business. Failure to do so can put your listing into review or suspension. Second, set your service area up based on the zip codes or cities that you serve, or using a given area radius around your home. Setting up a service area that encompasses all of Honolulu or all of O'ahu won't mean that you will appear in all searches done in the set area. To learn more about how Google determines local ranking, I'd recommend reading this section regarding Relevance, Distance and Prominence, : https://support.google.com/business/answer/7091

Hope this helps you get started!