AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

How to prevent folks from registering businesses at my location?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a 52-acre property, and new "brand" pages keep popping up associated with our location. I am not sure if unauthorized parties are creating these, or, if Google is being "helpful" and adding identities for notable features on our site or for alternate web addresses.

Is there a way to "fence off" our location so that this does not happen? Only our account should be able to authorize new brand pages at this location.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Elizabeth!

Can you provide more information about your business? Are you the only legally registered business at this location? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, we are the only legal business at this address; we contract two vendors who work on site, a gift shop and restaurant/caterer — but through us (we control the brands). 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Gotcha! So we can understand further, can you provide the name and address of your business?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure, it is Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 990 Washington Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11225. The subordinate businesses are Garden Shop, Yellow Magnolia Café, and Patina Events at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The address is our main entrance; we also have a mailing address, a delivery address, and two other public entrances.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you! This is an interesting situation. With different categories within your Botanic Garden, it doesn't seem like these listings are breaking any of Google's guidelines. There isn't a way to "fence off" your business so others cannot claim a business in this space. However, if Google felt that these businesses were duplicates or spam of your business, they would flag it as such.

May I ask the problem that these listings create for your business? From my POV, these may actually be beneficial, as it's more real estate in the local world for people to visit your business. Perhaps indirectly, but it's getting you more exposure.  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not sure I'm explaining this clearly. There are 7 accounts for Brooklyn Botanic Garden, 3 for Brooklyn Botanic Garden Events, 2 for Gift Shop, 3 for Cranford Rose Garden, 1 for "Brooklyn College" but attached to my location, etc. Here is a screenshot of part of the list. I did not create these, but they keep appearing!

I mainly would like to be able to prevent new accounts from being created for our business/location. And for the all the duplicate accounts that HAVE been created, I would like to remove them without either a) saying the business was closed or b) leaving the profile open for someone else to claim as "their" business.

It seems like we should have some sort of legal rights to protect ourself from advertising that purports to be us but is not! As in, when a new "business" is created at our verified address, we should have the opportunity to verify the new listing.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Ahhh yes!! That helps a ton. :) I understand the issue you're facing now. It doesn't seem like it's creating actually listings though. From a search on my end, I'm seeing only one listing for Brooklyn Botanic Garden. When you click on one of the brand accounts you didn't create, where does it take you?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see 18 published "locations" and 4 brand accounts. For the locations, I have an option to close or remove this account, but I don't want to remove the listing from my ownership, I want to delete it and prevent it from coming back. The locations all have errors — likely the duplicate address.

And, I only have ownership of the accounts that I've been able to claim; there are others that I did not create and cannot control, for example, a duplicate of Yellow Magnolia Cafe that may have been created by Zagats or Open Table, that has incorrect info. How do I reclaim ownership of listings like this?