My Business
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

How do I delete a duplicate business profile?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our own business listing information is not being shown in search results. Instead it is being merged with another listing as it's been considered a duplicate by Google. The majority of the information, including reviews, comes from the other listing and not ours. We have just managed to receive ownership of this duplicated business listing and can fully manage everything now - however, we are being asked by Google to delete the other listing which was the original listing used for the reviews etc.

My question is, if we delete this listing, will all our reviews from that listing that were merged disappear or will all the merged information stay existent on our active listing once the duplicated profile is deleted?

The duplicated profile is now unverified and in a hidden state.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I delete a duplicate business profile?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
deleting any listing from a dahsboard will not prevent showing the listing.
It will continuing shown up.
The only difference ist it comes as a unverifid listing then.

I think to give you better advise you should provide more infos about all the listings in question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Helmut,

Thank you for your reply.

We don't want to simply delete it from the dashboard. We have been requested to delete the profile entirely (ie, close it down) as it is a duplicate. This was the advise given from a call answered by an Asian call centre on behalf of Google.

They couldn't answer the question if the duplicated entity was deleted, would it take with it the reviews that were originally attached to it or would the reviews remain with the new entity it was merged with?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Pyvotal DM

it doesn't matter what you requested or trying to delete.

I don't belive the reviews will disappear.

But perhaps I  would give a more concrete answer knowing the listings in question and it's duplicates.

Re: How do I delete a duplicate business profile that has been listed as merged?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Apparently the answer is to ring through to the GMB team and get them to make sure all reviews and other data is successfully merged with the main published entity first. Once confirmed, you have to leave it a few days to make sure any changes performed by the GMB team have propagated in Google's systems.

After a few days, you need to delete the G+ business profile page if it has one. This is done by going to:

• plus.google.com > Profile > Settings
  • Scrolling to the bottom of the page and selecting "Delete your Google+ profile here"

* NB, if you don't see the Delete option, it means you don't own the profile. You will need to go through a request of ownership.

** Please make sure you have the right G+ business page. In a normal My Business profile, you can access it by first logging into My Business, opening up the profile of the duplicated instance and scroll towards the bottom of the page and select G+. This should take you directly to the G+ profile of that business instance. In a bulk listing profile, go into the duplicated entity and locate it's G+ icon in the upper right hand sidebar at the top.

Once you have deleted the G+ profile page, you need to let it propagate again for a few days.

After it has propagated, you then have to log into Google My Business and mark the my business entity as permanently closed. On a standard My Business profile, this is done by entering the business instance, clicking edit, scrolling to the bottom and clicking on the "Mark as permanently closed" link. In a bulk listing profile, you need to enter the duplicated business instance and click the "Mark as permanently closed" link in the upper right hand sidebar.

Apparently, 3 months afterwards, Google's systems will automatically remove the now unlinked and unverified business entity.