AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Hijacked our pin! Piracy!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When we type in our business name it takes you to a pin for a similar nearby company who seem somehow to have hijacked our pin! After typing in our name to the search the pin changes to their name and all their info and location? What can we do? Very upsetting for us and our customers.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Re: Hijacked our pin! Piracy!

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If Google could find the address I think connecting to maps is usually pretty fast. But if they can't find that address, it could be pending a moderator's help to research if the address is valid.

I'd wait a week from the time you input the pin. If it's not resolved, post back here and we'll tell you how to contact support.

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Caroline,

I don't think they hijacked your listing I think something else is going on. Either something is confusing Google or possibly a merge or something. But we'd be guessing in the dark without looking.

Could you please give us your business name exactly how you search it + city. And because everyone's results can be different and we may not see what you are seeing, please give us the name of the other business.

We also need a link to your Google+ Local page.

Thanks, Linda
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Linda :)

We are called 'Vowed & Amazed'. The other company are called 'Wedding letter hire.' Both based in the UK.

When you type our name into maps it suddenly switches over to their name and their location.

Our Google business page is verified but not showing yet, I think it takes a few days. I'm not sure if this will correct itself once listed? But I feel not because it actually converts it over to their name and location rather than directly using ours? Does that make sense?

We are located at postcode HP100NT (once showing up) but if you type in our name it high tails it over to 'wedding letter hire located at AL38AQ.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Caroline B & @Linda Buquet

while I can replicate the result Caroline seem experiencing  (if searching for "Vowed & Amazed" getting as GMaps result "Wedding Letter Hire") I can't even find any local GoogleMyBusiness page  named as "Vowed & Amazed"

But there is a deactivated G+ page https://plus.google.com/102821133174366354414/about

The resaon for this deactivation seems to be the status "pending" in MapMaker for 'Vowed & Amazed'

Now  and taking a deeper look onto the possible reasons for that pending status I found that address of the POI in question: 6 Acre Barn moor High Whitehouse Ln High Wycombe HP10 0NT

To both of you ladys:

try to searching  in Google MapMaker for  just  6 Acre Barn moor High Whitehouse Ln High Wycombe HP10 0NT

You will be surprised getting no result.

I therefore believe the issue of Caroline is a plain address issue rather then any kind of "piracy"

Please Caroline specify in your dashbaord only such address Googles MapMaker will know and find.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply.
We have only just set up our own Google + account to attempt to combat this issue. The other company is not called vowed and amazed so they must have done something to get vowed and amazed searches to redirect to them. We will see what happens when our Google+ and Google maps account fully verifies. Hopefully this will stop the pin redirecting to them?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Caroline,

Did you see Helmut's comment above? Google does not seem to recognize your address. If address does not resolve it can cause all kinds of problems including Google not approving the listing to go live. You need to find out what is the correct mapping address for your location as Helmut suggested.

Is there a pending or suspended notice in your Google My Business dashboard?

Again this is not hijacking. Google attempts to offer the best answer to the query. If my business was called "Blue Widgets" but my listing was not live or was suspended - then since Google can't find my listing, in an attempt to give the searcher an alternative might show my competitor "Bright Green Widgets".

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Linda,

ah yes I see it's not hijacking, that is good to know! I did think it seemed a bit ruthless if so!

That is our correct address, I'm not sure why Google doesn't know it already but...

We have had a verification number from Google posted to the address which we imputed a couple of days, and we have a notification to say that the "business has been verified but is not yet connected to Google search and maps."

Will this be enough to alert Google to the existence of our address and business and get it 'connected' I'm hoping it's just a matter of waiting for it to catch up? Or do we need to do something more to make our address exist?

Does that make sense? Thank you both for being so helpful! I wish we had thought to do this years back!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by ElizabethP (Community Manager)
December 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
If Google could find the address I think connecting to maps is usually pretty fast. But if they can't find that address, it could be pending a moderator's help to research if the address is valid.

I'd wait a week from the time you input the pin. If it's not resolved, post back here and we'll tell you how to contact support.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, will do, thank you so much. Your help has been invaluable.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You're welcome Caroline and good luck!