AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Google maps currently shows two locations for my business. One of them is incorrect.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Google maps currently shows two locations for my business. One of them has the correct address and the title "Stanley H. Less". The other has my old address and the title "Law Office of Stanley H. Less" I have the option of claiming the first, but there is no link to claim the second. I would like to have the second's address changed to the new location. I submitted a requested edit 6 weeks ago but have not heard anything back. When I try to make the old location into a new business is suggest the business at the new location, but I want to claim/create a business at the old location so I can change the old locations listing to the new location. Is there any way I can claim the second business?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Re: Google maps currently shows two locations for my business. One of them is incorrect.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @james w & @Stanley L

You might run into issues if you ask GMB to merge the pages because they won't actually merge listings that have different addresses. Instead what you want them to do is mark your old location as Moved (more on that here: http://searchengineland.com/google-fixing-permanently-closed-problem-242364)

Thanks for reminding me James - I need to update that article on my blog to mention this feature. 

Stanley - I'll go ahead and send this to Google for you.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

View solution in original post

Re: Google maps currently shows two locations for my business. One of them is incorrect.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Stanley L, 

That's a pretty common problem, and one that shouldn't be too hard to fix. @JoyHawkins wrote an article recently dealing with that here:
http://www.joyannehawkins.com/the-proper-way-to-deal-with-duplicates-in-google-my-business/

Basically, you're just going to want to call into Google customer support, let them know that you want your incorrect listing:
https://plus.google.com/107600909180227284761/
merged with your correct listing:
https://plus.google.com/108193204165859716567/about.
You can request that that here:
https://support.google.com/business/contactflow?hl=en

It's actually a good thing you weren't able to claim the old one, that should keep things simple. 

If you end up with any issues at all, you can also try hitting up @googlesmallbiz on twitter, sometimes that works better. 

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Manoj S (Google Employee)
April 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey @james w & @Stanley L

You might run into issues if you ask GMB to merge the pages because they won't actually merge listings that have different addresses. Instead what you want them to do is mark your old location as Moved (more on that here: http://searchengineland.com/google-fixing-permanently-closed-problem-242364)

Thanks for reminding me James - I need to update that article on my blog to mention this feature. 

Stanley - I'll go ahead and send this to Google for you.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks @JoyHawkins! I was wondering while writing this if that 'moved' information changed the answer here, thanks for the clarification!

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Google got back to me and before they can fix this they need you to claim the new/correct listing for your business. Can you let me know when you've done that?

Owner of Sterling Sky

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK. I did send a merge duplicate request after posting here. Yesterday I received an email telling me the edited address submitted over 6 weeks ago was accepted. Today I checked on maps and it seems there is only one location now ("Stanley H. Less"), so I guess once the edit was accepted they were able to merge the listings. The second listing in @james w's post now leads to a 404. So I think all that is left to do is claim the "Stanley H. Less" listing. Thank you both very much for your help.

Edit: the old marker is still showing if you use auto complete when searching for "Law office of Stanley H. Less", but the address listed is correct.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Stanley,

If the marker is wrong, make sure you get that corrected or your customers could get sent to your old address when they get driving directions on Google Maps. I would reply to whoever you got an email from yesterday and ask them to fix that too :)

Owner of Sterling Sky