AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Google listing hijacked by Beyond Menu

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, 

Adding in to this thread with another BeyondMenu/Kydia related complaint, they have a website called "www.pakwanindiancuisine.com" that is getting more clicks than our legitimate "www.pakwanus.com" variant. They have not agreed to take it down, they refuse to do anything with it and we have filed for a DMCA with GoDaddy but it won't really do much for us since this is a common issue that seems to plague the restaurant industry. 

I'd like advice on how I can ensure our clicks aren't being wasted on that fraud site and how I can ensure my legitimate URL is popping up at the right spot (Top 1-3 search listings). 

I have updated our google profile and setup SEO to some degree but I need help. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well nobody responded or assisted me so I took appropriate action, I filed a DMCA, stuffed it in the scammer's face, my fake website is now taken down. I did it through solid ingenuity. Hope you do utilize this forum to at least guide people to adequately viable solutions rather than leaving us high and dry. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Thanks for coming back and posting your solution. This is a volunteer run forum and there are many posts awaiting a response. I try to keep an eye out for listing hijack posts but missed yours. While your listing wasn't hijacked and your issue wasn't Google My Business related, your post will be helpful for other restaurant owners facing the same issue. I will reference it in the future.

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How was our listing not "hijacked" by beyond menu with their usual scam? They approached our primitive ownership a year back, convinced them to go into a partnership with no contractual obligation and then proceeded to utilize their subdomain site on our name to gain adrevenue and become a more legitimate source for information on our service than our own media. 

Then when asked to take it down or switch over, they refused to do so. I think that does describe taking forceful control over someone's digital image?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Management PYou are correct, it is a hijack.

However, the hijack is only done because the owner's agree to pay them a commission on any orders obtained.  Without the owners paying them, there is no reason to attempt the hijack.  While Google will try to get it right, overcoming this issue is not up to them; rather the responsibility lies with the owners that are enabling the activity.

@TomW, Beyond Menu/Kydia is a well known hijacker; here is a nearby hijack.  If a business owner has any issues at all with their place then it is by default a GMB matter, if they come to the other forums the TCs are not to help them but will send them here as per Google policy.

Re: Google listing hijacked by Beyond Menu

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Flash

I'm well aware of BeyondMenu's antics and have helped many restaurants regain ownership of their Google My Business listing after BeyondMenu took it from them. Based off the information provided I don't interpret this as a hijacked GMB listing, but instead as a complaint that a BM/Kydia owned website (www.pakwanindiancuisine.com) is so visible in organic search while the actual business website is not. If that is the issue then it's not GMB related... but I will gladly pass along the DMCA request tip to any business owner facing the same issue.

pakwan.png

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Perhaps I misinterpreted this, I thought that the URL in the feature on the map was also changed.  If that never occured then yes, it's not a hijack.

It is, however, still something the owner has enabled via his contract with the place.  If you tell them you'll play a commission on every order they can get, of course they are going to try to become the top ranking place in Search.  And since that is all they focus on while as an owner you focus on running the restaurant; then of course they are often going to out rank you.

Sorry if I misunderstood.  @Management P, if this is a completely to do with your ranking in Google Search then it's not a hijack nor a GMB matter.  The owners need to decide if they want to continue their relationship with the company (and with the many others that do the same).  I'd be cautious with a DMCA takedown, you can be legally liable if it doesn't actually meet the requirements for such a takedown.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an IT/Web Security fanatic, I do have to say, upon discovering this scam it is ridiculous how little written contractual information the scam agency provides, therefore it only does affect the smaller family-run businesses with mom & pop looking at it as a great lead to follow without knowing the kick backs on redirection, misrepresentation of business quality as well as all the negative press.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well they actually had our GMB a while back i think, we were able to get that settled, but this was the last step that I was having difficulty with. I would appreciate some SEO tips on visibility. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@FlashYou're on the right side, my use of the term hijack seems to touch up with another interaction as well. Overall we verbally cancelled and sent countless emails/calls over the course of 2-3 years to them. Ownership states that there was no response, I stepped in around 8 months ago and discovered this oversight last week. We seemed to be in the green for a DMCA due to there being no copy of a contract between the owner and the firm. I must remark that I am both shocked and miffed by the fact that ownership proceeded into this interaction so naively. Regardless, the firm itself refused to give me contractual info, there the DMCA takedown seems to have worked, but they still hold the URL. 

While we're on the topic of why they would want to keep a URL up with no order services perplexed me too initially, but then i got some of my analytics data back and looked at the google adwords campaigns i had run recently, most of my tags got redirected to their variant of our business page before ours. Meaning two horrifying things, A: Customers would see their run-down version of the site and be discouraged to order as it would not seem like finer dining. B: The fact that we were not partnered for delivery or ordering with them would mean customers would IMMEDIATELY look for an alternative on their site to avoid messy searches, giving our competitors a piece of the pie for being partnered. 

Its a messy scenario, but I feel like a sleuth having caught on.