AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Google My Business Claimed By Someone Else

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about this conflict. I am currently working for a law firm that has a Google my business listing that is managed by someone outside of the organization. The listing is managed by some kind of former agency that is pretty much holding the listing hostage and requesting money. The owner told me he is not familiar with this person. What is the best way to go about this?

Create a new listing, report the old one as a duplicate? 

Somehow file an appeal with Google?

Use this option given by Google - If you haven't received a response from them by Tuesday, January 16, 2018, return to this screen to verify your affiliation with the business and gain access.

Thanks. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No, don't create a new one. If they don't reply to your request after 7 days, then you should have no problem getting control of it on the 8th day. If they deny the request, I would contact GMB support on Facebook or Twitter (best way IMO) and explain the situation to them. You may need to provide documentation to assure them you should be the rightful owner of the listing. This is best done with a domain based email for your G account as it provides support with another form of rightful ownership.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, yeah I can guarantee that he will deny it beforehand. So looks like I will recommend contacting support.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It's unfortunate, but it does happen. Support can help, but like I said, I would recommend using a domain based email if possible. You'll have more credibility, authority with support that way.