My Business
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Google+ Brand Page Access (manager/owner, but no email password)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

One of my clients has a frustrating (and probably simple) problem.

Basically:  His company's former freelancer created a Google+ Page and a Location (Google My Business) page for the client.  The location is verified. The G+ page is just fine, no need to delete.  I am working with this client now, and we both have access to the G+ page (manager/admin). 

The problem is: We are unable to recover the password the the associated email (for example, the G+ page is /barlaw1, the associated email is barlaw1@gmail.com).  We want to keep the original G+ page, as it's already connected to the verified location, it already houses a few reviews, I already has content, and on and on.  Our concern is not having access to the attached email.  If something ever happened with the G+ account in the future that required email notification, verification, etc., we'd never be able to access that email account.

The previous freelancer met with the client numerous times in an attempt to provide access to barlaw1@gmail.com, as he no longer as a need for it and it is associated with our business account(s).  He was unable to recover the password (couldn't recall security questions, doesn't have the same phone or phone number any more previously listed for account recovery, no recovery email addy attached to account, and on and on and on).  

Is there ANY way to recover this email address password as the client?  Client has primary ownership of the Google My Business page (previous freelancer made sure of this), and manager/admin rights to G+ page, just needs access to the associated email.

If email password recovery isn't possible in this case, is there a way to merge two G+ accounts (one verified, and one now being built/created) while retaining verification but housing the account under a new email (taking out of BarLaw1 and moving it to new account)? 

Thanks in advance for all your help.  This has been so frustrating as everyone has been compliant but no one can recover the stinking email password! It's the only thing left we need!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Amy

Unfortunately we can't recover the missing password.

However there is a way through this. You can change ownership of the listing to a new email, and all the important info (reviews etc) will follow.

Simply request an ownership transfer
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671
Fill out the form. You have the option to include a message to the current owner to contact you directly.  Since the current owner can't access the email, this probably won't make a difference.
The current listing owner will receive an email asking them to get in touch with you, and you’ll receive a confirmation email. Allow a full 7 days for the current listing owner to respond to your request. If you don’t hear back after 7 days, contact support by replying to the confirmation email.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margaret,

Thanks so much for your reply.  Thankfully, that process was the first thing we did, so we do already have primary ownership of the location listing. :)

I guess my question is this:  Would it be safe/recommended to continue using the original G+ page, even without access to the password associated with it?  I feel that it isn't, but also know that I err on the side of paranoia at times.  Ha! Just a question because we'd love to continue using what's already built, rather than creating a whole new page (for the social aspect). 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Margaret! 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Amy

Once ownership is transferred, you can determine which emails have access to the listing. If the original email isn't still granted access it is irrelevant.

Messages etc should all be set to go to the new owner - you can double check in your settings area.

And yes, it is preferable to use the original page, for a range of reasons.  

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you again, Margaret.

One last clarification:

We have the listing. It's not been an issue. We already determined which emails have access to that.  My most crucial simply is: If we continue to use the original G+ page for social purposes, is there any way in the future we might be in danger of losing access to it, as we do not have access to the associated email for that account?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @amy b

Just so I'm clear - you talking about the Google+ page, not the GMB listing, yes?

It's slightly confusing because they used to be separate, then became tightly tied together, and now they're being separated again.  Unfortunately the chopping and changing has completely confused the vast majority of people, and even their own documentation isn't crystal clear as to which is which sometimes.

So if we're talking G+ (not GMB) see if you can go to this link: https://myaccount.google.com/brandaccounts
Click on the account, click manage permissions.  Do you only have an "x" next to the email you are logged on with?  Is the "primary owner" the email you cannot access?  If so, then potentially yes, if someone had the password for the primary owner email you could lose control of the page.  But you shouldn't be able to lose control of the GMB listing, because that is already transferred to you, and presumably you've removed the other email's access to the GMB listing.

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Margaret! 

Yes, correct.  I have no questions about the GMB listing, as it's set up properly, verified, switched to a proper owner and a working email address that we have access to, etc, etc.  The GMB is completely squared away.  I was asking about the Google+ currently being used by the client - because it's concerning to him that he can access the Google+ page and manage it, but he cannot access the associated email.  That's why I was asking - is there a time it would become necessary FOR him to have access to that email? 

When I go to G+ (not GMB) via the link you provided and click on accounts and permissions, the only primary owner is my client, as mentioned previously. I am secondarily listed as an owner. There is no one else listed. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @amy b

Righto - so what you've described (and I've finally caught up with you) means that the primary owner login is lost.  

Ideally you'd have a G+ page that can be fully controlled by a login because it's a brand account.  Kind of rests with you and the biz owner as to how comfortable you are with not having that login.  Other than that you're pretty well covered.
If you go into your owner account settings, you should be able to set that email to receive all the critical messages that G might issue. 

Owners and primary owners have the same capabilities, but a primary owner can't remove themselves from a listing until they transfer their primary ownership to another user.
https://support.google.com/business/answer/4573962

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your responses, Margaret.