My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer" Category

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to add my business to Google Business Maps so it appears in search engine results when someone searches for a Web designer in my area. I was hoping that a map displaying the location of my business would appear at the top of the search results for web designer as it does for others. (see first screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxrfqzzwzhz3hrd/26-07-2016%2000-49-31.jpg?dl=0)

For Google Business Maps > Location Details when I type Web into the Categories field it provides the auto-suggestion of "Web Designer". However even though this is a recognized category and auto-filled correctly it states "This category isn't supported in GB. Choose a supported category from the list that appears when you start entering a category: Web designer" . This warning message appears when I hover my mouse cursor over the yellow warning sign. The problem field is in red (Please see second screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6fes9kysro2mqs/26-07-2016-00-40.jpg?dl=0

I've read on another forum that this is a bug. Please could you update the database of allowed categories so I can submit my details. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer&

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
both of your dropbox links are indentical - please provide the second URL in a different way
Accepted by topic author Simon V
July 2016

Re: GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer&

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
a suplement:

a valid and working category for UK based businesses like yours should be "Website Designer" not "Web designer"
Please give it a try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for pointing that out. Both Dropbox links should now be working. I did originally try to add a photo but I kept getting the message that it was invalid HTML

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! It seems to be working now. I thought I tried that synonym yesterday but it didn't work. Now it's NOT giving me an error. Hopefully it will submit now

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

the valid categories for the UK are listed here: 

categories_en_GB.csv

it contains "website designer" (search for the parameter "gcid:website_designer")