AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.3K members online now
1.3K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer" Category

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to add my business to Google Business Maps so it appears in search engine results when someone searches for a Web designer in my area. I was hoping that a map displaying the location of my business would appear at the top of the search results for web designer as it does for others. (see first screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mxrfqzzwzhz3hrd/26-07-2016%2000-49-31.jpg?dl=0)

For Google Business Maps > Location Details when I type Web into the Categories field it provides the auto-suggestion of "Web Designer". However even though this is a recognized category and auto-filled correctly it states "This category isn't supported in GB. Choose a supported category from the list that appears when you start entering a category: Web designer" . This warning message appears when I hover my mouse cursor over the yellow warning sign. The problem field is in red (Please see second screenshot here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k6fes9kysro2mqs/26-07-2016-00-40.jpg?dl=0

I've read on another forum that this is a bug. Please could you update the database of allowed categories so I can submit my details. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Simon V
July 2016

Re: GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer&

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
a suplement:

a valid and working category for UK based businesses like yours should be "Website Designer" not "Web designer"
Please give it a try.

View solution in original post

Re: GOOGLE BUSINESS MAPS BUG. Location Details > Categories. Not recognizing "web designer&

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
both of your dropbox links are indentical - please provide the second URL in a different way
Accepted by topic author Simon V
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
a suplement:

a valid and working category for UK based businesses like yours should be "Website Designer" not "Web designer"
Please give it a try.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for pointing that out. Both Dropbox links should now be working. I did originally try to add a photo but I kept getting the message that it was invalid HTML

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you! It seems to be working now. I thought I tried that synonym yesterday but it didn't work. Now it's NOT giving me an error. Hopefully it will submit now

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

the valid categories for the UK are listed here: 

categories_en_GB.csv

it contains "website designer" (search for the parameter "gcid:website_designer")