AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

GMB Owners and managers of listings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We were the primary owners of a client GMB page.

We granted ownership but not primary ownership to the client.

The client accepted ownership.

The client then removed us as primary owner.

However, per GMB support (https://support.google.com/business/answer/4573962), "...Each listing can have multiple owners, but only one primary owner. Owners and primary owners have the same capabilities, but a primary owner can't remove themselves from a listing until they transfer their primary ownership to another user."

Obviously, this isn't true or am I missing something? 

We never transferred Primary Ownership to another user, just regular ownership. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AB Mktg Comm
May

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Beside of all discurse whether   @AB Mktg Comm  was justified to have the  primary ownership or not (or  only  the "normal basic"  ownership)

He is asking about  this  part  of the  HC:

"Each listing can have multiple owners, but only one primary owner. Owners and primary owners have the same capabilities, but a primary owner can't remove themselves from a listing until they transfer their primary ownership to another user"

And @AB Mktg Comm seems wondering why  after  granting ownership  to  any other  user  this  other  user made himself the primanry  owner and  belivesthis  would  contraadict  toth  quotedsnipet of th  HC.

The  HC  does not  contradict  to thee  fact  an owner  can upgrade  his  own role as "owner"  to  the new role as  "primary owner" .

The  HC   only is  saying  a "primary  owner can't  downgrade his  role before  an other  usergot the primary ownership"

I  just  checked this  with  a listing  where  two differnet of my own Google Accounts (letssay Account"A"& account "B") are Primary owner ("A") and  "normal" owner ("B")

"B" is  able  to upgrade  it's role to "Primary  owner"  (and  this is according the HC article)

But "A"  can't downgrade  himself to a "normal" owner  (and  this is according the HC article too)  before any  of th other  user was  upgraded as "primary owner"

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You shouldn't be the primary owner of a client's GMB page.  Therefore Google fixed it for them.

Thanks,

Nathan D Olsen

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@AB Mktg Comm

An owner of the account can make themselves the primary owner, they have same capabilities as you just noted above. You can't remove a primary owner from the account but after removing you as primary owner they can remove you from the account. 

However, as Nathan noted you had no business being the primary owner of a client's account. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author AB Mktg Comm
May

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Beside of all discurse whether   @AB Mktg Comm  was justified to have the  primary ownership or not (or  only  the "normal basic"  ownership)

He is asking about  this  part  of the  HC:

"Each listing can have multiple owners, but only one primary owner. Owners and primary owners have the same capabilities, but a primary owner can't remove themselves from a listing until they transfer their primary ownership to another user"

And @AB Mktg Comm seems wondering why  after  granting ownership  to  any other  user  this  other  user made himself the primanry  owner and  belivesthis  would  contraadict  toth  quotedsnipet of th  HC.

The  HC  does not  contradict  to thee  fact  an owner  can upgrade  his  own role as "owner"  to  the new role as  "primary owner" .

The  HC   only is  saying  a "primary  owner can't  downgrade his  role before  an other  usergot the primary ownership"

I  just  checked this  with  a listing  where  two differnet of my own Google Accounts (letssay Account"A"& account "B") are Primary owner ("A") and  "normal" owner ("B")

"B" is  able  to upgrade  it's role to "Primary  owner"  (and  this is according the HC article)

But "A"  can't downgrade  himself to a "normal" owner  (and  this is according the HC article too)  before any  of th other  user was  upgraded as "primary owner"

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

forgot an  other  point to clarify:

What makes a  "Primary Owner"  special?

What  special rights  are "owned" by the  role of a  "Primary Owner" compared to the role  of any  "normal" owner  of  a  GMB listing?

Or asking differently:

What  makes  a "primary owner" being "Primus inter pares":

There is according  my understanding  just one point:
If any  other  user (not  having yet the ownership) will try claiming the ownership  of a listing as per this HC article  this ownership request will directed to  the primary owner  ONLY.

Means only  the primary owner can decide to accept or to deny any new ownership request of any user not having  already  a  role as "User" in the tab  "Use"of the GMB dashbaord  of this listing. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For clarification, AnnexBrands is a franchisor, much like McDonald. Franchisors often have contracts that allow them to retain ownership of how their name, which is licensed out, not sold, is presented in all manners. Its highly unlikely, and dangerous to their reputation, that McDonalds, Subway, or any other franchise organization would allow individual control over their Google or Yelp pages.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

My  clarifications (# 4  & # 5 )  are intended to just clarify  how GMB consider the  roles of users  as "primary owners" and   "owners" of  a  certain GMB listing - intending tosay  not more or less.

I can't see the response "# 6" of @Daniel J  anyhow giving  any other interpretation or  description of  how  GMB consider the  roles of "primary owners" and   "owners" of  a  GMB listing.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Helmut Geissler you are correct, my statement wasn't directed at your response as to "how GMB consider the roles of users  as "primary owners" and "owners"". My post was an attempt to address the confusion of right to ownership of the listing. Something that occurred because in the original question, the term "client" was used when it should not have been. I posted in response to prevent more statements stating that AB should not have had ownership in the first place and to refocus the topic back to the subject of the question.

I agree with your explanation and would say that your posts were spot on. In fact your following statement in #5 answers @AB Mktg Comm question the best.

But "A"  can't downgrade  himself to a "normal" owner  (and  this is according the HC article too)  before any  of th other  user was upgraded as "primary owner"

Sorry for any confusion.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Daniel J 

Totally agree with you!  

Unfortunately, I just wanted them to understand that holding a persons listing hostage isn't right!

But had the question been more directed towards roles, it would had been easier to answer!