AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Does ownership transfer change status of previous owners (remove/demote)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For privacy purposes I will not be posting this business' information, so I hope this information is sufficient to allow someone to shed some light on this! 

My team frequently requests transfer of ownership in situations where our clients either can't find/don't know their login credentials or their GMB is still managed by an old marketing company. We only do it when absolutely necessary, but when we do, we always seem to have the ability to leave the original owner/managers on the account if we need to. 

We recently ran into a situation where, after transfer of ownership, the previous owner was removed completely. We did not remove this account. The adverse side effect of this was that all the responses (to reviews and questions) on the listing that were tied to this previous owner's account were removed when that user was removed. My team member called Google support and they said that removing responses is an unfortunate side effect of removing owners, and there's nothing that can be done to get that data back - even if we re-added the previous owner to the account. 

We tested another account to see if transfer of ownership would do the same thing (remove the old owner), and it did not. However, GMB did demote the previous owner to "manager." Previously our experience was that the original owner would still remain an owner after transfer.

So my question is twofold:

1. What is GMB supposed to do to previous owners and managers when an ownership transfer goes through? [Delete, demote, or stay the same?]
  2. When the former owner was deleted from the account, all his responses were deleted. Google told us this was permanent. What's the reasoning behind deleting this data entirely? If there was some accidental removal on our part, we would have loved to add him back as a manager so we could keep the responses. He had well over 70 responses.  
1 Expert replyverified_user

Does ownership transfer change status of previous owners (remove/demote)?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I remember having  experienced iit very similar a while  ago  (3-4 month  ago)