My Business
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Defunct store info associated with my website. Cant update!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an online business; JetAge Studio. I've had the same domain name, and have been in business since 2008. Recently within the last few months, it has been incorrectly associated with a defunct brick and mortar business of a similar name that went out of business either earlier 2008 or before. When a Google search is performed for JetAge Studio, my website is the first in the results, and shows the incorrect defunct business address and phone number under my webpage hit, as well as a "map of JetAge Studio" to the right with the status of "permanently closed" in red. I am in no way associated with this defunct business, and the Google information of "closed" is disrupting my business. JetAgeStudio.com is strictly an online business, it is not a brick and mortar store, so I can't update the correct operating address. I also do not take phone orders, so I cant update this either. I tried to "claim the business" to resolve this, and also created a Google Business account, but with the current verification system, I cant do this properly as I do NOT want my home address listed on Google Maps, which is where my business resides. I dont know what to do. I need the associated address of 198 Guerrero St, San Francisco, CA 94103, their phone number and the “permanently closed” status removed as soon as possible, and I need help as to how to do it. At the very least, I need JetAge Studio's identity to be disassociated with the incorrect information on the Google search. Thank you for any advice and solution, Renee Wiggins, owner.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Defunct store info associated with my website. Cant update!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Renee,

I called the phone # and confirmed it was dead. I also see in Street View that you aren't at this address. Was there actually an art gallery locally at this address at some point with your name?

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I saw there was a pending edit on Google Maps to delete the website URL from the listing so I approved it.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Joy, thank you so much for your help and following up. When I started my business in 2008, I made sure there was no other entity with my name, but I did know that there was once a "Jet Age Studio" which catered to interior design, in San Fran. They closed their doors, so I was free to use the JetAge Studio domain name freely. I can only assume their business was legit, but I know that it was defunct back then. All was good for me up until a couple of months ago when a customer alerted me and was nervous that I appeared "closed". And that's where I am now....their old info has been merged with my current business name, it seems.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Renee,

I just submitted another edit to separate the words (Jet Age vs JetAge). If that doesn't do the trick let me know tomorrow and I can see if Google can do anything about this.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again Joy. Search today still pops up that mini map view and "permanently closed" status doing both spelling searches, unfortunately. Do edits take a while to go into effect? Thanks for all your help thus far!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
(sorry, I'm also rbwigorama....I was signed on my other account when I replied. )

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Renee,

I'm going to escalate this thread. I'll see what Google says.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Any word from Google, Joy? I know it's only been a couple of days. :)

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hey Renee,

I have not heard back yet - let me ping them again.

Owner of Sterling Sky