AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor "gaming" Google 3 pack

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I keep a close eye on google rankings and my local competitors.  Recently I noticed a competitor appearing in the Google 3 pack - an attorney I have not seen or heard from in years - let's call her Atty A.  I frankly thought she had retired.  When I clicked on her Google 3-pack entry I  am taken immediately to the website of another competitor in an adjoining city whom I know to be very aggressive (and dare I say not so scrupulous) - let's call him Atty B. There is no indication of Atty A and Atty B being in the same business or otherwise associated.   Atty A does have a business address at a known Executive Suite in my city. The phone number for Atty A in the Google 3-pack, however, is not a working phone number.  Now Atty B is in an adjacent and smaller city.  I think Atty B has parlayed the address of Atty A in my larger metro area to fool Google and get cases from the Google 3 pack. .  That is, Atty A has changed her google MyBusiness account to forward to Atty B's website.  Very unethical IMO.  I work hard to stay within the lines.  Can I report this to Google?     

Competitor "gaming" Google 3 pack

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Stanley D

That definitely sounds like a violation of Google's policies for Google My Business listings. Can you share a link to this companies Google map listing so forum members can take a look? 

Re: Competitor "gaming" Google 3 pack

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

StuartPastor.png

Law Office of Stuart Pastor in Stop #3 for search of "social security attorneys" from my location in Dallas TX.  I am in position #1 Denman Law Office) - not complaining except, again, I hate to see others not playing by the rules.  I'd like to get in the 3-pack for Fort Worth but can't since my office location is in Dallas!

Click "Website" and you go to the Law Office of Daniel Gregory of Fort Worth Texas. 

DanielGregory.png

Here's the html for the "website" button for Stuart Pastor in listing #3 of the 3 pack:

<a class="yYlJEf L48Cpd" href="http://www.danielgregorylaw.com/" data-ved="0ahUKEwjhgMeq-tjaAhVM0YMKHeDbAa4QgU8IbjAC" ping="/url?sa=t&amp;source=web&amp;rct=j&amp;url=http://www.danielgregorylaw.com/&amp;ved=0ahUKEwjhgMeq-tjaAhVM0YMKHeDbAa4QgU8IbjAC"><div class="wLAgVc"><span class="XBBs5 Cws1Yc wmCrUb"><svg focusable="false" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 24 24"><path d="M12 2C6.48 2 2 6.48 2 12s4.48 10 10 10 10-4.48 10-10S17.52 2 12 2zm-1 17.93c-3.95-.49-7-3.85-7-7.93 0-.62.08-1.21.21-1.79L9 15v1c0 1.1.9 2 2 2v1.93zm6.9-2.54c-.26-.81-1-1.39-1.9-1.39h-1v-3c0-.55-.45-1-1-1H8v-2h2c.55 0 1-.45 1-1V7h2c1.1 0 2-.9 2-2v-.41c2.93 1.19 5 4.06 5 7.41 0 2.08-.8 3.97-2.1 5.39z"></path></svg></span><div class="BSaJxc">Website</div></div></a>

Competitor &quot;gaming&quot; Google 3 pack

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The website has been removed for now but there's nothing stopping them from adding it again. A top contributor could escalate it to Google but their enforcement of GMB policy isn't all that inspiring. 

Competitor &quot;gaming&quot; Google 3 pack

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I've seen some interesting ways to game GMB. I just keep reporting them if I have to. But also report it in here, with the Title "Please escalate. Continual TOS Violation". That should get the attention of those who have the power to escalate TOS violations.