My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor changing my mobile number every day. How to stop it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Friends,

I had an impression that as verified business owner, I have the sole rights to edit my contact number, address, business name, etc. However, it seems Google gives some users a right to suggest / edit such information. Or if 5 such editor suggest a change, it gets published without my permission.

Every day I check my Google business listing, I find my mobile number (contact) changed by 1 digit. And the business names, keywords, etc getting changed. It says "This location has updated information from Google users or other sources. Review these published updates to make sure that they're accurate." Now without my approval, how can the edits get published? I know who the competitor who is doing this. But how to stop it?

Kindly help.

Warm regards,
Sandeep

ISOAH Data Securities Pvt. Ltd. (ISOEH)
Module 335, SDF Building, Sector-V, Kolkata 700091
www.isoah.com , www.isoeh.com

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competitor changing my mobile number every day. How to stop it?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandeep S

It should not automatically change, there should be an option in your dashboard to Keep or Discard updates >> https://business.google.com/manage/

I will ask the team to look at edits on this listing to see what can be done. https://goo.gl/maps/dakv55ZQmaw

See if they can block the trouble makers.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Tim,

I have added  marker.
Now someone changed address and contact number which is wrong.
Now i have edited the address and contact number but to publish it i need to verify the location and i cant do this as address and contact number both are not correct

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandeep S

The Google team has taken action on the accounts that were causing the problem. It should be okay now, just keep an eye on it.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Abdullah S

Then you are obviously editing in Maps.

If they have changed all the details, then leave that listing because it does not relate to the business now and create a new business page in your account and verify from there >> https://www.google.com/business/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your reply.

Isn't there any solution to for me to get theat marker verified and then i can get mmy number and address published.

I there anant way i can verify the location from my email id as i am the owner of location.

I really can't loose that location.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @Abdullah S

If they have verified it, then you need to begin the claim ownership process.

http://onlineownership.com/claim-ownership-of-a-verified-google-business-page/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Team,

Thank you for your reply.

Sorry for my late reply. I got caught up with work.

Someone from Google team contacted me over phone.

And the mobile number has been made un-editable.

This solves my problem. Now the competitor can not change it.

But it seems now they have taken this strategy -

1. They are changing the visiting hours. So people are coming to my office at wrong hours. 

To tackle the first issue, ideally, google should stop this feature of "suggest edit".

It is grossly misused.
Only the owner should have the power to edit.

Surprisingly, when someone suggest edit, it is showing up even without my approval. I have checked the information from another neutral machine. And it is verified that if 10+ people suggest the same change, my information gets changed. This feature is getting manipulated. If digital marketing guy has 100 fake profiles, they can use it to make changes in any account.

2. The 2nd blackhat strategy - Every week they are putting a bad review on us. I have checked the reviews. The same reviewer (profile) has put a good review on their account and bad review on us. In reality, we do not even know the reviewer. They were never our customer.

Check this link to understand - 

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/113032288315777372868/reviews/@22.5832168,88.4289313,15z/data=!3...

The guys who have taken up these blackhat techniques are - https://www.google.com/maps/place/Indian+Cyber+Security+Solutions

These guys should be blacklisted !!

I am more busy in protecting my online branding from criminals like them, rather than focusing on my core business.

Warm regards,

Sandeep

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Sandeep S

Yes Google is reliant on "crowd sourcing" data, which as you have found out is a massive vulnerability.

Make sure your hours are also added to your structured data markup, but in the end it can still be overwritten with crowd sourcing.

I will bring this up again.