Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Company Phone Number Listed Under Different Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm currently working on a startup company that got a business phone line about a month ago which we registered with My Google Business.

The business is We Heart Balloons and we registered and verrified the address:

We Heart Balloons
362 E 2nd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012

Our phone number is: (323) 920-0296

We discovered from one of our contractors that when they call us on their Google Fi phone or Google Hangouts that the caller ID automatically fills in as "Sweet Bed Bugs" a completely unrelated company. We checked with our phone service provider and they have our caller ID correctly listed as our business. After looking in to it a little it looks like  our company's number is listed under "Sweet Bed Bugs" business listing on Google, even though they do not own that number, we currently own it, use it, and have it set on our My Google Business page.

I was wondering how I could go about correcting this, as I can easily verify that I indeed own the number just by anyone calling it, and have listed on my Google Business, but that has still not removed it from this other company who no longer owns the number. We are planning on having our grand opening in November, so I really am hoping to sort this out before then to avoid confusion with our customers.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author We Heart Balloons A
October 2016

Re: Company Phone Number Listed Under Different Business

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @We Heart Balloons A

I have made the "Suggest and Edit" on their Map listing ( unverified ) to the tel number shown on their website. It may take a few days to be checked and approved.

So have a look in about a week and see if it has been changed:

https://goo.gl/maps/VKWwWehN3hS2

However, if anyone does a normal search, there are quite a few sites that list the other number also:

"Sweet Bed Bugs" AND "323-920-0296"

Hopefully at some point sweet bed bugs will realise and correct all these listings.

PS:

When I looked for your page I noticed you had set your service area for pretty much the whole of North America

We Heart Balloons 362 E 2nd Street Los Angeles  CA 90012   Google Search.png

A service area over 40 miles does not produce any results as it just dilutes the location signal and you end up at the bottom of the list in results.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author We Heart Balloons A
October 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @We Heart Balloons A

I have made the "Suggest and Edit" on their Map listing ( unverified ) to the tel number shown on their website. It may take a few days to be checked and approved.

So have a look in about a week and see if it has been changed:

https://goo.gl/maps/VKWwWehN3hS2

However, if anyone does a normal search, there are quite a few sites that list the other number also:

"Sweet Bed Bugs" AND "323-920-0296"

Hopefully at some point sweet bed bugs will realise and correct all these listings.

PS:

When I looked for your page I noticed you had set your service area for pretty much the whole of North America

We Heart Balloons 362 E 2nd Street Los Angeles  CA 90012   Google Search.png

A service area over 40 miles does not produce any results as it just dilutes the location signal and you end up at the bottom of the list in results.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the help that sounds like it should be a big help and the right direction.

As for the service area, the company is going to be an online eCommerce website, so there isn't exactly one specific location we serve, so when it asked for the service area I just listed "United States" since we delivered nationwide.

Would you recommend a different solution to achieve that result? I'm sorry if I'm unfamiliar with the appropriate way to list these sort of things, this is my first business with Google Business

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @We Heart Balloons A

Anything over 40 mile radius does not produce any results in visibility because it it intended for local buisnesses in an area or a local business that serves an area.

FYI: An Online only business is not eligible for a Google business page and are against the Google My Business guidelines

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It isn't exactly that we don't offer any in person services/sales per se, but that a majority of our sales come from online. We do interact with local clients in person when it's appropriate ( larger events, repeat clients, same-day pickups, etc ). 

Hmmm. My next question would be: If I have a small service area ( say Los Angeles ) and also have United States listed ( it lets me put more than one location tag ), would that remedy the problem? Or is having the US tag going to always ruin the local results?

Apologize for all the questions, but thank you for all the answers and your time! 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

No larger then 40 miles, because you would never "make in person contact" with someone 300miles away.

Service area relates to your in person contact with the business, not a delivery driver.