AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Closing a location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for a small law firm that has three locations. There were originally two partners who are now parting ways (on good terms). We have three different GMB listings all listed with our firm name (Pathway Law). I want to be able to remove the location of the partner who is leaving the firm, as he will no longer be working as a part of Pathway Law. He will still be practicing law at that location (just under a different business name).

My understanding is that I have a few options for closing his location. I could mark it as permanently closed and then remove it from our GMB account. I could contact Google and ask them to mark it as moved to our location that is keeping the Pathway Law name. What I'm not sure about is how these options would affect our former partner if he tries to set up a GMB account at the location in the future. I don't want Pathway Law showing up at that location, but I also don't want to adversely affect him in his new practice. Is there any chance that either of those options (marking as permanently closed or having Google move the location) would harm the former partner's appearance in search results?  

Business to be closed/dissociated from our firm:

1. Full business name of the business we want to close/dissociate from our firm: Pathway Law - Roxbury
2. Current business address: 1842 Centre Street, West Roxbury, MA 02132
3. Current telephone number: 617-484-6610
4. Google Maps URL: https://goo.gl/maps/ay12vWdQc852
5. Website (if applicable): pathwaylaw.com

Business that is remaining in our firm:

Business to be closed/dissociated from our firm:

1. Full business name: Pathway Law - Belmont
2. Current business address: 385 Concord Ave, Suite 103, Belmont, MA 02478
3. Current telephone number: 617-484-6610
4. Google Maps URL: https://goo.gl/maps/s5GAsSrgatq
5. Website (if applicable): pathwaylaw.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pathway L
May

Re: Closing a location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there!

I would recommend just marking your listing as permanently closed within your account. What you could do is create a post that lets people know that this location is closed, but that they can still visit your other locations for service.

Since the lawyer's info will be completely different, he should be fine. Your listing will not interfere with him creating his own as long as you mark it closed!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

View solution in original post

Closing a location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there!

Marking the Roxbury, MA location as permanently closed will not affect the lawyer or his ability to create a new listing in any way. A As long as you mark your published listing as permanently closed you will be fine. It will be up to the lawyer to set up and verify his listing. While you can't delete a listing, marking it permanently closed is the best option because it will drastically reduce it's appearance on searches.

A couple of quick questions so I make sure I'm understanding this correctly.

1. Are you opening a new location? Is that why you would reference it as moved?

2. Will the lawyer be using any similar information as the closing location? (ie - phone number or website)

Closing a location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the response! Answering your questions below. 

1. We're not opening a new location. We currently have three locations, and the West Roxbury one is the location associated with the attorney who's leaving. I guess I was thinking it might make sense to mark it as moved so that people are directed to our locations which are still open (Belmont and Norwood). 

2. No, the phone and website are associated with the firm, so he'll be getting his own separate website and phone number. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pathway L
May

Re: Closing a location

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there!

I would recommend just marking your listing as permanently closed within your account. What you could do is create a post that lets people know that this location is closed, but that they can still visit your other locations for service.

Since the lawyer's info will be completely different, he should be fine. Your listing will not interfere with him creating his own as long as you mark it closed!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Closing a location

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for all your help!