AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Changing ownership of a physician on GMB from one hospital to another?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

I am not sure if my situation is unique, but I run the GMB accounts for a hospital. We have started a new orthopedic practice that will be made up of doctors and surgeons who are coming over from a competing hospital. Most of those doctors have GMB listings in their name, under the old hospital's practice and address.

The competing hospital will still have an active orthopedic practice at that address, but the individual doctors will be coming under our banner.

I have already created a GMB for our new practice, but it looks like I may have to create individual ones for the doctors, as well.

At the risk of doing anything wrong, what would be the best way to proceed with changing those physician listings?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @johnny b,

The best thing to do in this situation is to keep the existing listings. Do the physicians have access to their listings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, Craig. The physicians do not. These would be set up by the marketing team at the competing hospital. 

Would requesting ownership of the listing be ok in this regard? The doctor works for us now. We would just need to take control to change the address/phone number.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@johnny b

In my experience, the question becomes: "When you Google search the doctor's name... what is going to show up?" A "Permanently Closed" listing is really confusing if seen in the wild. It's why I usually recommend keeping the existing listing if possible. It's also what Google recommends.

I'd definitely reach out. Luckily, this is an okay problem to have. If you have to create new listings, since you're at a different address you may not have the "Closed" problem at all.

I'd still try though.

Re: Changing ownership of a physician on GMB from one hospital to another?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I agree. By reaching out, do you mean request ownership?

When they Google the doctor's name now, they get the doctor's old hospital
and practice, not our information. So any attempt to make an appointment
through the listing would lead them to our competitor.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@johnny b

Well, you could go through the "request ownership" process, it might be easier to simply ask the competition to transfer the listing.

Do you think you'll be able to do this?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Johnny B:

I suggest contacting Google My Business support team and have them mark old listing as "moved" and then they can add the new location for the doctors. Hope this helps.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Bruce G

Usually when you contact support to change an address they ask for verification. In this case, it'd be either a change of address on the URL tied to the listing or asking to verify the email tied to the Google My Business listing. I'm not sure that @johnny b has either.

If they can verify, the process will still take a little over a week to complete. It's easier to have the marketing team at the other hospital transfer the listing over. If that isn't an option, then yes we will have to try other options.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bruce and Craig: Thanks so much for your replies. This is all very helpful. I'm slowly getting the hang of GMB and I want you to know that I really appreciate your help!

I'm working to see if we can figure out who actually owns the listings, Craig. I was confident it was the hospital, but all the doctors' listings have different naming conventions. Maybe that's not so uncommon with companies that own many listings, but either way I'll be working with my supervisor on if we're comfortable with reaching out to the competitor.

This would mean I don't have the URL or email address of the current owner. Even if we want to reach out to support, as per Bruce's advice, sounds like we'd have to have that information first, right?

We can certainly verify everything on our end, but it would appear our first task, whether or not we request ownership or reach out, will be to find out the listings' original owner. Do I have that correct?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Johnny

@Craig M

Yes, it would be best to find the original owner info handy when you contact support.