AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2K members online now
2K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Change in business name and location on an old listing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working for a client who has bought a biz from his dad years ago. They want to get rid of the unclaimed listing of the old business. They don't even know how that listing ended up on google maps in the first place.

Scenario: The phone is the same but the name and location have changed. It appears that there is no way to claim the biz and change it or simply delete it.

I don't want to "permanently" close the business for fear that people will misinterpret that closure, thinking the current biz is closed. It's not. They just moved and slightly changed the name. Phone number is the same.

I tried claiming it and changing the address but the only way do that is to verify the biz. The only way to verify is to have the verification sent to the old address. They aren't at the old address so there's no way to verify it.

I tried "suggesting an edit" but changing the name isn't an option. "Permanently" closing it is possible but it's in a small town. People will get confused. I can't find a "Move this business" options so I'm here seeking help.

So...how do I claim and verify the existing biz listing at the new address with the changed name?

OR how can that listing be deleted without leaving a trail of closed business?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

can't you imagine we could help you more and better knowning the listings in question.

At least I could show you then a screengrab with the "moved to" feature.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I didn't imagine knowing the listing would matter because I didn't know features changed depending on individual listing.

I can't use "Moved to" because the listing can't be claimed to move it. Also, we created a new listing  under the current business name/location.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

ok @Bracketts P

it's your decision not to provide better information.

Mine is to leave the thread then

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know what info you would need so thanks for posting. Bye.

If anyone with knowledge of how google allows address and company name changes can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. It would be great if someone who actually works at google could reply...