AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Change business website but I do not own it

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I made a website for a friend and he would like to change the website link to the new one on google business but he doesn't know who created it. Therefore, I cannot change it neither. Is there a way to do this(I already tried to suggest an edit)?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olivier T
December

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can click on the listing and suggest an edit as per following instructions -

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

The edits usually have to be approved by a local guide or Google employee before it is published.

However, as stated above by James, the business owner should really claim ownership of the listing for full control.

One of my local restaurants had their unclaimed listing hijacked by a lead generation company who changed the phone number and forced the owner to pay him a commission every time he got a booking.

View solution in original post

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Best way to do it is to get him to claim the listing via verification as this also allows him to edit information and promote it moving forward -

https://support.google.com/business/answer/2911778?hl=en

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @Olivier T,

What is the complete name, address of the listing?

Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Time Lord

name : Cambodiana Restaurant

address : 889 Boulevard du Séminaire N, Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, QC J3A 1J2

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Steven U

is it necessary to claim it? I just want to update the website.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

The owner of the business should claim the listing and control all of the various actions with it. The business owner can also request ownership, by following the instructions here: Google My Business Help -> Someone else verified my business.

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Olivier T
December

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can click on the listing and suggest an edit as per following instructions -

https://support.google.com/maps/answer/3094088

The edits usually have to be approved by a local guide or Google employee before it is published.

However, as stated above by James, the business owner should really claim ownership of the listing for full control.

One of my local restaurants had their unclaimed listing hijacked by a lead generation company who changed the phone number and forced the owner to pay him a commission every time he got a booking.