AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5K members online now
5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Change business name on google map?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I recently took over a business at a location and would like to change the names and info on google map. I claimed the business on business.google but wondering what will happened with the reviews that I earned. Apparently, my customers just leave review under the old business name. I tried to submit changes on google map many times and nothing happened. Can someone please give me an advise on this? Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

in genera: claiming a GMB lsiting and renaming it  will not anyhow change the reviews tied to the listing.

There are perhaps options todeal the situation in case you claim a listing"A" being a category "a" and change its name tp"B"  and it's catgory to a categry "b" you then could ask business support to remove the reviews related to "A"("a")  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. I am waiting for the pin number to claim the business. I will let you know how it goes.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You could’ve marked the existing listing as closed by suggesting the business has been shut down; this would pave the way for a new listing with a blank slate;

if you’ve taken over and want to keep all the attributes, ratings and reviews you’d basically need ownership of the GMB listing by either reclaiming (which seems like what you’re doing now waiting on that PIN) or requesting admin access from the previous owner;

On ownership transfer or reclaiming all the metadata is preserved (reviews, images, ratings, etc.) you become the agent of the listing and can make any changes you want to it; none of which will affect the data; you can modify the business name and any other attributes.

Personally, I’d recommend a clean slate :)