AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Can't Recover Gmail Account Used to Make Business Listing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello:
One of our distributors set up a Google My Business listing years ago using a Gmail account. He no longer remembers that Gmail address. How can he recover his GMB account?

A similar question was answered in January 2016. That advice may or may not be valid so I'm asking again.

The distributor's business name is Omega Distributors of Cleveland, Ohio, USA. I'm the Google My Business guy here at work so am trying to help the guy. We tried setting up a new business listing but Google remembers the old one.

Thank you,

Nick

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick L
December

Re: Can't Recover Gmail Account Used to Make Business Listing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you can't get into it with whatever account(s) you're trying, you can follow through with the ownership request. After 7 days with no response from current owner, you should be able to get it easily.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Nick L

I wouldn't create a new one. You just need to get control of the old one. This is best done with a domain based email if possible.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/4566671?hl=en

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you Scott. Can this work? There seems no way to access the original account unless he remembers the original gmail. If he goes through steps to claim the original listing, that listing's owner (him) can't reply and give access. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

No, that's correct. But the new account will be able to once ownership is claimed. When you attempt to get control of it using the link I shared, it will give you a partial email address of the current owner. Maybe that will jog his memory.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We got the partial email address earlier today. It shows the distributor made up a random abbreviation of his 1st, middle and last names, plus he thinks he mixed in his business name too! Many combinations were tried. I think we need Russian mafia hackers to get into that account! 

Thanks for all your help. It's much appreciated.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nick L
December

Re: Can't Recover Gmail Account Used to Make Business Listing

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

If you can't get into it with whatever account(s) you're trying, you can follow through with the ownership request. After 7 days with no response from current owner, you should be able to get it easily.