AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4K members online now
4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Business has incorrect phone number; actually belongs to family member

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello - I was directed to post here because the Business in question is "Verified" so the regular Google Maps community told me to post here. Here is the problem:

I submitted a request a month ago to have this phone number removed from this so-called business. The number that "captivatng concrete" has listed goes to a family member of mine and I can 100% guarantee that my family member has no connection whatsoever to this business.

The company has no other way of contacting them to ask them to take down my family member's number.

What are my options?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author md5hash
January

Re: Business has incorrect phone number; actually belongs to family member

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @md5hash

I will send this up the chain.

The Google team will check and confirm, then remove if correct.

Tim Capper, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Facebook | Linkedin
Tim operates a bespoke Local SEO Consultancy in the UK, Online Ownership

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @md5hash!

Have you tried "suggesting an edit" on the listing? If you believe a listing is spam, or would like to change anything about the listing, you can suggest some changes directly on Google Maps.

Please follow these instructions for marking the listing as "Spam":

1. Pull up the business listing on Google Maps

2. Press “Suggest an Edit”

3. Switch the toggle beside “Place is permanently closed” to Yes

4. Click “Spam”

5. You should get an email from Google Maps when your edit has gone live. If you don’t get one, you can check the status by going to your Contributions in Google Maps and clicking on the Edits tab.

You can use the same method to change the phone number. Edits usually take 7 days to be approved, Google's team is directly involved with these suggested edits (although sometimes they are algorithmic).

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

If this fixes your problem, please "Mark as Best Answer" to close the forum post. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author md5hash
January

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @md5hash

I will send this up the chain.

The Google team will check and confirm, then remove if correct.

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the info. The reason I didn't do that is because I was trying to be polite. I have no idea if the business actually still exists or not; that isn't my place to say. All I know is that the owner of the company definitely shouldn't be listing that phone number anymore, because I can 100% guarantee that it is not his.

That's why I just marked the phone number as wrong in my Google Maps edit, instead of flagging the entire business listing as spam/closed/etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's very good of you to do that. Thank you. Question: how can I tell if a Google Maps business listing is part of the advertisercommunity.com "Verified" program? Because you all have been more helpful in one day, then the Google Maps Editing system has been in a month.

I recall that businesses used to have a symbol (a blue shield or check mark icon? I can't recall) to show that their Google Maps entry was verified by them. However, I'm not seeing it anymore anywhere on Google Maps. And this concrete business definitely does not have one visible on the desktop maps.google.com page.

Is there any way to tell for the future if I am making a change to a Verified business that needs to happen (like this one) so I know to come here to this forum in order to expedite the change?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Craig M

That is all well and good to use Suggest Edit .... BUT:

The few directory's that list this business, list the incorrect number, which means if not removed manually then Googles algos will more then likely add it back at some point and also if they crowd source the edit via Google maps, then a Local Guide checking sources online will find the few incorrect directory listing information.

Googles team is not directly involved with Suggest Edits.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi @md5hash

Checking today, it seems that the tel number has been removed.

https://goo.gl/maps/TDUAdusPgR82

It has not been removed at the minute, which means the team are trying to identify if this business is still in existence. I guess because it is verified they have sent an email to the account.

A business that is not verified will have the link "Claim this Business" >> in Maps or it will say "Own this Business?" if looking at search results knowledge panel.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey @Tim Capper,

A few things:

1. I did a search for the phone number and did not find them on any significant listings. There is room for error, you must have found something I didn't. 
  2. That is really interesting about "Suggested Edits" having the possibility of being confirmed by Local Guides (whereas edits directly from Gmaps team do not go to the "Check Facts"), but wouldn't a Local Guide just call the number and find out it isn't correct?
  3. I just asked the question about where "Suggest Edits" go if they aren't algorithmically accepted/declined. I had it confirmed by another TC that some do go to the Gmaps team (in India or otherwise). You are saying they don't? What happens then with a "Pending" edit?

If I'm wrong on any of these points I definitely want to correct what I'm saying. Definitely value your input/knowledge. 

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Craig M

I would never put faith in a Local Guide to call the number or even in check the facts. A large portion of incorrect edits and messy clean ups are from LG's not understanding the edit and issue. 

The 5000 'ish Gmaps team can in no way handle the millions of edits a day (Gmaps can only handle .5% of daily edits), hence the reason for trying to crowd source the edits with Local Guides. Even after you make an edit, Google bot tries to find evidence online that the edit is correct, even in pending mode. Its those really stubborn ones that take 6 months to be verified and then denied because the Gmaps team has little leeway for investigation.

So in this situation, there are a couple of online references to the Private Number being listed as the companies number, I would rather ask for this to be removed, because of the whole LG and Gmaps team inability to understand the information. (If we could leave a note about the Edit, this would vastly improve edits )

In this case they would have found the couple of listings with the number and denied the edit, which would not have resolved the issue.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

@Tim Capper

It makes you wonder why Google would even throw it out to the guides at all, if what you say is true.

Thanks for the clarifications, I will ping a TC for all incorrect phone numbers w/ listings in the future.