AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

Business changed name, domain, and business focus. New plus page associated with old domain?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Changing business name question.

Our business has changed it's name, domain and business focus. I've updated all the information on the Google plus Brand page to reflect the new name and busines. Google has changed the custom URL for the plus page to the new name. Google.com/+bartlettlegalgroup My question is the email account used to originally build everything is associated with the old name/domain. I've read that the email used to build, or is associated with the Google plus account for a business should be the same name as the business. In other words we have a new domain with new emails but our Google accounts are still associated with the old business name/domain. I've read you can't change the Google account email. Would I have to link one of our new emails to Google and build a new Google Plus page using the new email? Everything is working correctly other than the loss of credibility due to the domain not matching the business.

The old firm domain is www.bartlettburns.com  the new name is Bartlett Legal Group, LLC at www.bartlettlegalgroup.com.  The old firm was built using the business account of fbartlett@bartlettburns.com.  We are keeping the bartlettburns.com domain alive because emails and clients are still coming to the old addresses. Web traffic to bartlettburns.com is redirected to bartlettlegalgroup.com. Bartlettburns is hosted at ENOM through Google.  The company brand is built under fbartlett@bartlettburns.com.  Can we change this to frank@bartlettlegalgroup.com to satisfy Google's appreciation for all names addresses and phone numbers being consistent?

The address remains 126 Elm St. Cheshire CT 06410  the phone remains 203-439-7717.  We have changed from a personal injury law / family law firm to just a Personal Injury law firm.
Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Business changed name, domain, and business focus. New plus page associated with old domain?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Frank

While it's best to have a match between the email address and the GMB listing domain, it's not absolutely essential.

Plus, Google will have the history of the changes should there ever be a dispute about the listings.

You should be fine to leave the emails as they are.

Should you ever want to change the owner email, here are the steps:

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3415281

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Margaret O · Google My Business Top Contributor

Find me on · · my blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for the reply.  My concern is more about SEO than possible dispute about listings.  I posted this in another forum and they suggested coming here since it was more about Google my business.  What are the pros and cons as to leaving the email account with the old domain or switching it to an email associated with the new business name.  Would it be more appropriate to ask this in an SEO forum if there is one?

Thanks

Frank